Replacing our WRT54G v1

Our WRT54G v1 has packed it in; WiFi no longer works, with no LEDs lit underneath the 54g label on the front panel.

Would like to replace it with something OpenWRT compatible without paying an arm and a leg. I have seen the OpenWRT WiKi list of supported hardware, but if you happen to know which of these are reasonably priced and for sale in the US, your response here would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

73s and best regards,

K7AAY

Reply to
K7AAY
Loading thread data ...

"K7AAY" hath wroth:

No lights at all or just a few? Check the power adapter. The WRT54G v1.0 uses a 5VDC 2A power adapter which tends to die suddenly. There should be some available on eBay.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

WiFi no longer works, with no LEDs lit underneath the 54g label on the front panel

The rest of the router works.

I have confirmed and reset and re-reset wireless=enabled in the router, to no avail.

May I ask, again please, for a recommendation for replacement?

Reply to
K7AAY

On 16 Nov 2006 16:16:41 -0800, "K7AAY" wrote in :

Buffalo.

Reply to
John Navas

OK, it's not the power supply. The WRT54G v1 has a plug in MinPCI card inside for the radio section. I fixed one that had somehow fallen out of its socket. Shake the box. Duz it rattle?

See photos at:

formatting link

I hate giving recommendations when I have no clue it's going to be used, how many users, how much bandwidth required, gaming, Bitorrent, VPN, and other apps, and price limit. If you must, my favorite of the week is Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware: |

formatting link
've been playing with one at home and it seems to have a generally better radio section than my WRT54GS v3.0 router. Since the DD-WRT firmware is the same in both my Linksys and Buffalo, the feature sets are identical.

Disclaimer: I make no guarantee that my crystal ball can deduce your requirements or that my guesswork can satisfy them. Also, my recommendations may change as new equipment and new bugs are released.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Have you also done the 30-second hard reset to defaults. That solved a dead WiFi portion of one of my WRT54G units.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

John Navas replied:

Did you have the WHR-G54S

formatting link
mind?

$43.66 F.O.B. CN85qk from Provantage, $41.93 FOB Puddletown from Chief Value, and $39.99 to Oregon from NewEgg

formatting link
It does support OpenWRT as per
formatting link

John, once again, you hit the nail on the head. Thank you immensely for sharing your knowledge.

73s & best regards,

K7AAY de CN85qk

Reply to
K7AAY

On 16 Nov 2006 17:25:06 -0800, "K7AAY" wrote in :

Yep.

Yep.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Reply to
John Navas

I replaced my v1 with the WRT54GL (same as v4) and it's been great. It does has limited availability -- NewEgg has it for about $57 (after rebate) with free shipping.

gb

Reply to
gb

I got the same Buffalo you are looking at ($40 shipped at Newegg) and though I have not yet put it to work in the field, so to speak, I did flash it over to DD-WRT and test it out. So far, so good. I like the hardware and I like DD-WRT.

I must say, though, that if one was going to stick with the Buffalo firmware, to me it sucks. The linksys firmware is much easier to set up.

DD-WRT seems to be modeled on the linksys interface, so it's not only powerful, but easy to set up too. So the nicely designed Buffalo using the DD-WRT firmware seems like the best of both worlds.

It's kinda amusing how you deflected all attempts to help you revive your linksys. Sounds like you have your mind set to get something new.

Don't throw it away though. Might be worth checking out the hard reset and loose card ideas even if you do buy another....or else sell it "as-is" on Ebay to somebody who's looking to own a V1.

I'm sure somebody on this forum would take it off your hands if nothing else !

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On 17 Nov 2006 23:02:29 -0800, "seaweedsteve" wrote in :

That's a matter of personal taste -- I personally find the Buffalo interface to well-designed and easy to use, at least as good as Linksys. More importantly, I find the firmware itself to solid and reliable, better than comparable products on the market.

Reply to
John Navas

Very good, It's good to hear that the Buffalo FW may be more reliable for those who don't flash over to DD-WRT.

Probably I needed to look over the Buffalo FW more closely, it was a quick first impression/examination before I flashed it.

I should have said, "As a relative beginner, it was more difficult to setup" IIRC, I was struggling to understand strange settings that the linksys didn't have before I realized that it was defaulting to another basic mode for the WAN (not the common one, I forget the terms). Other things about the Buffalo FW also struck me as off, but I forget. I mostly remember thinking; "this is why the magazines picked the Linksys over the Buffalo in the reviews I read- the interface is a bit confusing"

The Linksys worked right out of the box back when I knew even less.

It's the kind of thing that an experienced user would never even notice. It only took me a few extra brain cells to get it right anyway ! And once you sort out the setup, the reliability is all that matters.

Don't get me wrong, though. I am replacing our WRT-54GV5 with the Buffalo. I like it better!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On 18 Nov 2006 08:31:50 -0800, "seaweedsteve" wrote in :

Perhaps you missed the easy setup wizards in the Buffalo firmware and software -- they make setup simple and robust.

Good!

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.