repeating wireless signal

inside my apartment on campus i can't pull the wireless signal strong enough. the network is secured, with access only granted through Cisco with a user name/password. is there an antenna/bridge/router type of setup that i can use to repeat the signal to my desktop and notebook, and also to an xbox perhaps. i have seen some wireless antennas on tigerdirect.com, but i'm not sure how to set up the antenna to a router or whatever to throw the signal through my apartment. thanks for the help

Reply to
jason.d.martinez
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

If the Cisco authentication is a web page, you could use (a) wireless client bridge with a high-gain directional antenna (connecting to the campus wireless) with an Ethernet cable to (b) wireless access point for your apartment. Or you could dispense with the wireless access point and Ethernet cable your various devices to the wireless client bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

no its an App that you must run before connecting to the network. its cisco clean access agent. does that make a difference as to what i can use and not use? and do you have any recommendations as to a good bridge? thanks for the help

Reply to
jason.d.martinez
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

"HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge"

or NOTE: This doesn't work with all models of the WRT54G.

Pure client bridges:

• D-Link DWL-2100AP
  • Linksys WET54G
  • Netgear WGPS606
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.