remote webcam access

I'd like to leave a wireless webcam running at a weekend getaway that has cable Internet access and a wireless AP. There is a TiVo also there that might be connecting via the Internet every 15 mins, so it would keep the connection (IP address) alive, but I would not want to depend upon that....

Any thoughts about how to leave a remote wireless webcam running, and be able to access it via the Internet - even with a potentially changed IP address ?

Also - any suggestions for a specific webcam for this task ?

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

Yep, What router do you have? If you can setup dyndns in your router you will be in good shape.

formatting link

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

tnx - I knew about the various dynamic DNS services, but never thought the hardware would actually support a dynamic DNS "client". Now I'll have to check which version of the router I have sitting out there...

OK - next research - which wireless webcam, and I guess I'll have to use port forwarding to go from the router to the webcam.

Reply to
P.Schuman

My WRT54G support dyndns. Works great.

Also in the case it does not, and you have a a pc that can run as a server, you can usually find a dyndns client that will run on that, such that it can extract any dynamic IP changes and update your dyndns entry.

Reply to
Philip

I like this one, just ordered one for myself:

formatting link
(Panasonic BB-HCM331A)

Reply to
Wayne.B

"P.Schuman" hath wroth:

No problem. Any of the dynamic DNS services should give you remote access to the image and camera administration. Make sure that the camera has a static IP address on your LAN (i.e. is NOT assigned by DHCP). Port forward the view port and admin port on your camera in the router port forwarding configuration.

Incidentally, is there some reason why you didn't bother to mention the make and model of the camera and router? In this case it's not terribly important, but one does tend to get more useful information if those answering have a clue what you're working with.

I've often thought that it would be cool to have a TIVO type of recorder store images for a security camera. I have not seen any instructions on how to convert a common Tivo into a start/stop frame based security recorder.

Personally, I've been tinkering with a 4 camera server. See:

About $120 on eBay. I like the NTSC video inputs because I can use old camcorders and larger CCD cameras, which tend to have a much better picture.

Sure. Any of the dynamic DNS services will do the trick. However, there are a few complications. Many dynamic DNS clients are not particularly stable under all conditions. That includes those embedded inside webcams and routers. I've done better with PC based clients, which have the added advantage of sufficient code space to impliment self checking and hang detection. I have a mess of customers routers and weather stations setup with dyndns.com: The first 5 entries are free. Any more costs about $10 per year. Except for some DoS attacks about a year ago, the service has been perfect.

Not really. See:

and see if anything meets your requirements.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thats why I try to avoid proprietary stuff like Tivo. I built a DVR a few years ago that is totally open source. The OS is Linux and the DVR function is MythTV. There is a really active community and doing what you described is just a matter of popping in a capture card.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.