Ping: Johann

On 6/8/19 8:11 PM, Johann Beretta wrote: > I've been pretty happy with MikroTik's offerings. The HAP line has some dual freq routers. >

formatting link
> > They'll work out of the box, but it's much better if you spend a few and customize them. > > They're certainly not "average user friendly".. But the OS is solid and the hardware isn't too shabby. > > I've got one of the CloudCore CCR routers and I couldn't be happier. It's a 9-core CPU with 2GB/RAM doing all the routing/filtering/fire-walling for my entire ISP. Maybe a little overblown for home usage, but certainly reasonable for a medium sized business. > >

Hi Johann,

I just installed my first MikroTik router yesterday. Wow! I love these routers. A single quick set up page with everything on it you need to get going. No rooting around trying to figure out what does to what. No guessing.

And another tab if you want extreme detail. Oh my goodness these things are easy to work with!

I only had two problems with it and both turned out to be me not putting the new default router and IP address into my browser's url after changing it.

I love the way you press apply and it happens instantly, no waiting for five minutes and hoping it did not crash.

I love the footprint too. Very logical. All the cables on the back, including the power supply, indicator lights on the front.

Thank you!

-T

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...
<snip>

Yeah. I don't recall how I came across my first one. I can't remember if I got it before or after starting my WISP, but whenever it was I've been stuck on them ever since. I haven't come across any other brand that is nearly as versatile. Stable as hell too. I never reboot them like you need to do with Linksys or Netgear every so often. The only reboots they get are the odd power outage or if there's a critial bugfix and I have to apply new firmware.

Speaking of updating the firmware, they get forever firmware updates. It's not like a Netgear that might get one or two revisions over 3 or 4 years before they totally drop it. The very first ones I ever bought are still in use and running current firmware updated as of a few days ago.

Primarily MikroTik are aimed at the ISP level where long reboots would be absolutely prohibited. The SOHO market, with it's $50 routers and

16MB of storage, benefits from this since those small routers run the exact same firmware/OS as the big iron $3,000 routers with 72 cores and 24 GB of RAM. The only difference, at all, in the firmware is compilation for the architecture.

Consequently, I don't think there is a single setting that requires a reboot to take effect. Only firmware updates require a reboot.

Mines a bit different. All the cables (including power input) are in the front along with the lights. The only thing on the back is the ground lug for bonding the router to an Earth ground (ISP style router).

Glad you're happy with it.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

After fussing at Netgear's configurations and swearing a Ubiquiti's, I started laughing when I first was MikroTik's Quick Set screen. Extremely well thought out and friendly.

Thank you again!

Customer bought a Netgear for me to set up for them a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember the model, but oh my goodness what a piece of crap! Using wired, I could not connect to the Internet, but could connect to the router. I got really suspicious when I could update the router's firmware but could not get out myself. Using wireless, I got right through to the Internet. And I had to go through menu after menu to find the simplest of things.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.