Palm OS or Windows CE??

Hi,

I have a couple of Palm OS PDA's but am looking at getting a wifi something or other. Just wondering what the state of opinion is between a Palm OS device and the Windows CE.

I am thinking of trying the Toshiba e800 or Dell Axiom.

I'd appreciate some informed opinions based on experience please.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that
Loading thread data ...

I know of two people who have Pocket PCs and they both say it crashes just as much as regular windows (at least once every six hours).

Reply to
Tim Millard
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

My "regular Windows" server runs for months at a time without difficulty. Likewise my workstation. Perhaps you have unreliable hardware and/or bad computing practices. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, but I have win2000 on 4 networked PC's here and other than when I am programming (ooops, wish I hadn't done that! ) , none of them have ever "crashed" so your comment does not hold a great deal of credibility.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

He must have meant regular Windows _ME_.

I'm no fan of Windows, but I work on an XP Pro system routinely, and I think it has crashed once in 3 years.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I've had a Pocket PC for a year now. WiFi, Bluetooth, MP3, video player all the other good stuff. It's been humming along now with no problem.

I like PPC's way better than Palms. I don't have to convert my files from my desktop like my wife has to on her Palm. Also I can just drag vidos and mp3's without conversion.

It's just a small computer.

Reply to
RadAct

Thanks Rad,

I am fast approaching the Give-it-a-try line. Having had Palms for some time AND their inherent clunkiness, the file issue being one of them, I think it is time to give windows a shot.

What brand and model do you have?

If you were to buy right now what youd you get in the $400 max proce range.

I am not sure about the HP stuff as HP have this neat notion of abandoning any product over about 2 years old. Well, with their PC's and printers they do. I can't see why they could'nt have a legacy section on their websites.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

FWIW I can do all that to my Palm M130, with no more difficulty than with the PPC I tried out. I can also do most of it to my 'berry.

They all are.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

All crashes due to third party drivers etc are MS fault. I thought you knew that...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

My one complaint about mine is a 'bug' that sometimes seems to stop it from waking up per alarm programs. Doesn't always happen, but it does happen from time to time when traveling. Oddly this has been in Windows CE from the beginning and has never been fixed. Other then that (and of course the call to the front desk for a wake up call solves the alarm problem) I have rarely had issues. Bluetooth and wifi on mine works great.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Sorry, forgot myself. Likewise the high price of gasoline. :)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.