Packet sniffing wi-Fi-hacking neighbor (

Congress critter's staff check voter registration and (drum roll) voting history. If you're not on either (better both) you're at risk of being ignored. Oh you'll get a feel good letter but not much else.

It pays to know who are your representatives and more so to make sure they know you're paying attention.

A few years back we had two neighborhoods that were up for a dump to be located. Both raised a lot of sand but one had a history of voting in local elections the other didn't. What to guess who ended up with the dump?

Way off topic. Given the debt ceiling train wreck. Now is a good time to let them know you're watching and how you feel about the dust up.

formatting link
Right now I'm trying to find a polite way of saying 'you and your cohorts are f*cking up big time'

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

Does an iTouch also work as a telephone?

Reply to
arkland

wifi is fine. You can't get 3G with those any present day iphone on T- mob since the bands are different. You should be able to use the phone for data too without a data plan, but it comes out of your minutes. You will have to surf a bit to find out how, but I remember reading that it could be done.

T-Mob allows free tethering on their network. It used to be true on roaming, but not any more. All this varies by phone, and I'm not really sure how it would be done on an iphone. Back in the day, for most phones, you would have to set up the "standard modem" in windows and play some games to make the phone look like a usb modem. Blackberry made this a one button feature on the desktop a few years ago, so I am no longer familiar with the hacks. With the iphone, everything is difficult.

The iphone is very old technology. The current generation phones are quad band UMTS. I would suggest not buying a GSM phone without that feature, but it's your money. Don't confuse this with a quad band phone. That generally consists of two EDGE frequencies and two UMTS frequencies. Even Apple has that. Quad UMTS means the phone can use all four UMTS frequencies, basically T-mob and AT$T. I think there are pentaband phones too, but that is really getting overkill.

The iphone is really a shitty phone if you consider making phones calls important. If you really need a portable gaming machine, the ipod touch is the way to go, then get a decent phone.

Reply to
miso

I've never run into a phone, that for use as a phone, is as bad as the iphone. The sound of the voice is just crap. You can't use it very well as a speaker phone. Seriously, how many revs will it take for these people to get it right? Bluetooth headsets actually sound better than the iphone microphone. Well this is on the 3GS. I don't know anyone that upgraded to the 4, given the antennas issues.

Reply to
miso

Read what I wrote. I don't use the phone part of the iPhone 3G. There's no SIM card in my 3G. I only use the PDA features. I do my talking with an LG VX8300 phone. Sometimes, I use the phone via Wi-Fi with Skype or one of several SIP phone apps. However, without QoS on the coffee shop Wi-Fi, garble is common.

Whatever. There are so many irritating problems with the iPhone, that I don't understand why it's so popular. The speakerphone problem is just one of many. The iPhone 4 is much better, except for RF problems:

Never. If Apple actually produced a perfect product, everyone would buy it, and then not upgrade to the next better product. In order to sell upgrades, it is necessary to build in irritations and limitations. Try not to let this bother you as it happens in almost every product. It really doesn't get any better over time, as features and functions get added faster than bugs get fixed.

For horrible audio, you should try my visor mounted Motorola something hands free BT thing. Audio in, garbage out.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I stopped using the phone while driving, even with hands-free. The stats are the stats. It is a bad as drinking and driving.

The phone stays in my pocket. I get off the highway and call back.

Reply to
miso

What he is saying is get a plain feature phone and the touch. The touch is an iphone without the phone. The phone is the part Apple does poorly. As a podcast player, gaming machine, whatever, the touch is fine. It runs all the apps of the iphone. This way you get a phone that actually works, as opposed to the iphone. [I know quite a few people that were given iphones as gifts by their children, and can't junk them for real phones. I find it f-ing annoying since these are people I need to reach and the f-ing phone doesn't work. ]

There is an issue to some degree about getting updates for the touch. They are often free for the iphone, but can be a nominal fee for the touch. You can take the touch to the Apple store and you might get free updates if you bitch. We're talking $10 if they charge at all. It's not the end of the world, you just have to expect that not all updates will be free.

Apple has the ecosystem to charge the user, so well, they use it!

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.