Packet sniffing wi-Fi-hacking neighbor (

Arpwatch keeps track for ethernet/ip address pairings. It syslogs activity and reports certain changes via email. Arpwatch uses pcap(3) to listen for arp packets on a local ethernet interface.

Note: you must have exim4 or postfix setup with SMTP, be it local or external if you wish to send out ?alerts? to external email address.

Run the following commands from terminal. sudo apt-get install arpwatch Create empty file for storing host information: sudo touch /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat Edit the config file: sudo nano /etc/arpwatch.conf insert line like this: eth0 -a -n 192.168.1.0/24 -m snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com Restart arpwatch: sudo /etc/init.d/arpwatch restart Check if the process is running: ps ?ef | grep arpwatch root 218 1 0 11:38 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/arpwatch ...

I changed the IP address line to this because I wanted to sniff the wlan: wlan0 -a -n 192.168.1.1/24 -m snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

Reply to
arkland
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Jeff Liebermann chose the tried and tested strategy of:

OOI, why would you suggest avoiding spaces?

Reply to
alexd

There appear to be addresses in your sig

Reply to
LouB

Good question. If the password contains dictionary words, seperated by spaces, it's somewhat easier to recognize the words. However, I just realized that the spaces are of no benfit with rainbow tables. I've done it out of habit from the old days of cryptography, where an indication of success in recovering encrypted text is to test for dictionary words, or maximize the spaces and common letters (etaoins). That also doesn't make much sense with just passwords. Never mind, it's not necessary.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is that a problem? That email address has been there for maybe 15 years, with another email address (that's still alive) for another 10 years. I don't get any more or less spam than those desperately trying to hide behind throw away addresses. Anyway, this has nothing to do with wi-fi, hacking, or wireless security.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

In the dark ages when encoding was just a simple letter by letter replacement, traffic analysis of the words would yield clues. How many one letter words are there? A, I? blah blah blah.

Reply to
miso

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com chose the tried and tested strategy of:

You've got to hand it to Google's marketing department.

"Google+: Now with 5x more Lady Gaga than real life!"

Reply to
alexd

Poor Captain Kirk was kicked off of Google Plus because they thought he was a fake.

---------- The lack of verification may already be ruining Google=92s chances of gathering high-profile celebrities. For instance, actor William Shatner had his profile removed shortly after joining. Some speculated that the lack of identity verification caused users to report the account as fake.

=93My Google+ account was flagged for violating standards. Saying hello to everyone apparently is against the rules maybe I should say goodbye?=94 Shatner tweeted shortly after getting banned Monday. Although his account was quickly restored, the experience isn=92t ideal for a new user.

--------------

formatting link

There is no real definitive account of how google plus plans to do "verification". Verify by what? Scan your drivers license? Fingerprint? Phone call? "Hello goo-GAL. I am William Shat-NER."

I say make him fight the Gorn again on Vasquez Rocks!

formatting link
bring back the panties of the Green Orion dancing girl.
formatting link

Reply to
miso

Now that I re-read the post I replied to - No:-))

Reply to
LouB

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com chose the tried and tested strategy of:

They could make them sit some kind of license test, and then give each one a unique identifier.

Reply to
alexd

Even more interesting is that they seem to want you to use the name that you normally use in real life (if you use a nickname or middle name as your primary name, you're encouraged to use that); verifying this will become even more annoying.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I agree.

Why didn't they get the police involved sooner?

And, even so, they only got the warrant when the FBI showed up (which is pretty far down the line, if you ask me).

I would hate to install a packet sniffer, for example, and then STILL have to wait for the FBI to tell me someone is doing bad things with my IP address.

I would want the packet sniffer to tell me that! Wouldn't I?

Reply to
arkland

As a (slightly) related aside, I had complained to the FCC about the AT&T smart phone policy (charging for data services you don't want and they can easily block).

Guess what the FCC did?

They simply forwarded my complaint to AT&T. AT&T called me on the phone. We talked for an hour. Nothing was resolved (they 'still' have the smartphone policy based solely on IMEI numbers). AT&T apparently wrote to the FCC the issue was resolved. AT&T wrote to me the issue was resolved. The FCC wrote to me the issue was resolved. I called the FCC and said the issue was in no way resolved. The FCC told me I could not reopen the complaint without new information.

In the end, all the FCC did was act as a mail-forwarding agent. They're no better than procmail.

BTW, if you know how to change the IMEI of a smartphone (unlocked iphone

3gs) to that of a non smartphone (say, a Motorola RAZR), I'd love to know how! < / HIJACK >
Reply to
arkland

Send a hard copy letter to your congress critter. Likely won't have much direct impact but you will have your concerns documented and you will get a response from the congress critter and likely another letter from the FCC. Just like the military the FCC does not like letters from congress critters.

Reply to
NotMe

Assuming T-mob still exists as a company, you can move it there and run without a data plan, or with one if you want. I've seen posts that indicate that. I saw an iphone on T-mob in the flesh. It worked just fine, but only on EDGE.

All the iphone have shit reception, but the 3gs doesn't suck nearly as much as the newer phones.

None of the older phones are quad umts unfortunately. I've been eying the BB 9900 (quad umts due in September), but will probably wait for a model that has the hacks to run Android apps. Not that I plan to run any Android apps, but at least RIM will exist as a company once they have that feature.

Apps are a pain in the ass. Constant upgrading. Unless you are using features of the phone (accelerometer, GPS, whatever), I don't see the need for an app. HTML5 is good enough. Probably not for gaming, but I don't give a shit about pissed off birds.

Reply to
miso

Good idea.

I've never written a congress person; but this is as good a time to start as any.

Reply to
arkland

I called T-Mobile who confirmed, if I buy an unlocked iphone on Craigslist, they'll allow me to use it (unlike AT&T) sans a data plan.

For me, that's fine. All I need is the keyboard, the apps, and the ability to get apps (and data) while using the home wifi setup.

Hmmmm... What does that mean?

That is, if I switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and then put the new T-Mobile SIM card into the newly bought Craigslist unlocked jailbroken iPhone 3GS, won't that iPhone work just fine on WiFi for data & downloading apps (even without a data plan)?

Reply to
arkland

Thats one of the problems in this country. Congressmen are hired by us to work for us. You are doing something wrong if your Congressman doesn't know your name.

Not contacting them is like hiring say a house painter and saying "you are smarter than me so just do what you want and give me the bill"

Reply to
George

I might be missing something (certainly won't be the first time), but if all you want is Wi-Fi, why not just get a Touch?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Or, do like I do, and use a jailbroken iPhone 3G as a PDA via Wi-Fi, and a commodity cell phone for voice via your favorite cellular vendor. It's an extra device to carry, but todays cell phones are not very large. It also has one major advantage for me. I can lookup something on my iPhone 3G while talking on the commodity cell phone.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.