Nokia versus Cisco

Hi,

I have for a customer testet a Nokia D211 Datacard also running Wlan. With the card I can associate with many access point, but when I try with Cisco access points it cannot associate. It is searching and searching but never find the SSID or make a connection.

The Cisco access points that I have tried is:

Cisco 1242 with the standards 802.11g and (802.11a) Cisco 1220 running 802.11b

Either of theese are working.

Have you heard about such a problem before? I cannot find any reference to it on Internet - and that seems strange to me. (OK - it is an old Nokia card - but anyway).

Best regards Lasse

Reply to
Lasse
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:24:23 +0200, "Lasse" wrote in :

Are you sure the Cisco access points were broadcasting SSID? Could you see them with other wireless clients?

Reply to
John Navas

Looks like the D211 had a problem with short preambles, so one workaround would be to disable short preambles on the AP. Alternatively you may want to see if you can find fixed code for the Nokia.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hi,

We are aware of the problem with short preamples, so we do not use that.

And to John - We are also broadcasting the SSID and we can see the SSID with other clients.

Lasse

"Aaron Leonard" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Lasse

"Lasse" hath wroth:

I'll assume Windoze XP Home on the Nokia D211 with the latest updates. If you're running Vista, there are some nifty command line diagnostics in netsh that can be used. Also, I keep running into XP SP1 wireless systems that don't work.

Can other wireless clients connect to the two Cisco AP's?

Are you using WZC on the Nokia D211 to connect or some other connection manager? If so, what's the name and version?

What happens when you run a wireless sniffer utility on the Noikia D211 such as Netstumbler or Wi-Fi Hopper? Does that see the SSID's?

Some other possibles:

1. Nokia D211 set to ad-hoc only.
  2. Cisco AP's set with MAC address filtering.
  3. Cisco AP's set on non-US channels 12-14.
  4. Short preamble (already mentioned).
  5. Cisco AP's set to point-to-point or point-to-multipoint bridging mode.
  6. WZC is set to ignore the specific SSID's. There's some registry trick to do that, but I can't find the reference.

Since the SSID's of the two Cisco AP's are known, try forcing a connection with the Nokia as if the SSID were hidden. Then, look in the Cisco AP's syslog output to see what's screwing up. I don't know if the Nokia has a log output, but check that also. Finally, if you're really a masochist, try enabling the Windoze Wireless diagnostic output using: netsh ras set tracing * en net stop wzcsvc net start wzcsvc Look for log files in: c:\\windoze\\tracing\\ directory. There's quite a bit of output, but something should show up in wzctrace.log.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.