Newbie question

formatting link

What's the speed of the connection provided by an ISP broadband, DSL, or dial-up have to do with any network setup wired or wireless? It has nothing to do with it.

This is what you need to do.

1) get a standalone modem that's running Rj45 as the connection type not USB.

2) When you replace the modem, you have to tell the ISP about the MAC of the new modem, because such equipment uses a unique MAC and the ISP must know about this MAC so that the ISP can link/provision the MAC to your account so they can find your modem on the Internet.

3) get a standalone wireless DSL router so that you can plug the modem into the router that uses RJ45 as its main connection.

4) The router and the wireless NIC should be from the same manufacture -- less trouble for you on the setup.

That's it and child can do it, but if you're afraid to do it, then have someone come in a do it and pay the $50 and be done with it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold)
Loading thread data ...

Tel

My translation : NIC Network interface card. PITA Pain in the ass ICS Internet connection sharing (always laughed at me, therefore would not recommend)

Your broadband speed and use of wireless are not related. In the UK I suspect most users with wireless ADSL routers are currently on 512Kb.

eric

-- Remove the dross to contact me directly

Reply to
Eric Parker

Duane

Thanks again....more clearer for me now.

Reply to
tel

Eric Appreciated...thank you

Reply to
tel

Reply to
tel

Reply to
tel

Thanks for the info. But my experience has been with Insightbb which uses AT&T as their network backbone and they require the MAC of the modem and the MAC of the first device past the modem wether or not that MAC belongs to a router, FW appliance, NIC of a computer or a NIC MAC of the computer that has been provisioned to access the ISP's network that has been cloned with the router's cloning feature and cloned into the router.

That's what I base my information, which is based on the experience I have to date. And I have used each one of the above at one point in time to connect to AT&T or Insightbb.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.