need wireless router recommendation

I'm using a Netgear FWG114P, rock solid!

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker
Loading thread data ...

Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me wonder about it's reliability......

So, I'm shopping. :-D

Reply to
johnny

Cisco owns LinkSys.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.

Reply to
Avalanche

If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd consider buying one.

Reply to
johnny

yes, but so what?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes, but that does not mean that buying a Linksys router gives you Cisco quality. You get the same low end consumer grade router with Cisco's name on it.

Reply to
Ook

As noted, linksys is Cisco. After rebate the WRT54G v.2 cost abot $60. There are higher and, I think, lower, priced models.

Reply to
avalanche

I have a netgear WGT634U.

I had a problem to start with. Wire connections worked, but no wireless (radio).

They sent me a new one. A complete new one, in the box, with all of the parts.

My next problem was with my laptop. This was my learning how to.

After I got that figured out, I have no problems. It works when I want it to. I use the wireless for the laptop so I am not limited to the "computer" room.

I use WPA security and when I am not using the laptop, I turn off the radio. This is the highest form of security.

I have no known problems with drop out or loosing the connection while in admin mode.

OT: I was in Virginia this last week. The hotel had wireless service. I only found it in the lobby. It was slower than molasses in January. My laptop said I had and excellent connection, but. My home service from RR broadband has spoiled me.

Reply to
hxbarney

I like Linksys, except for my BEFVP41, which doesn't work, and is apparently unsupported.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.