Need help extending home wifi using Ubiquiti nanobeam M2 radio

Need help extending home wifi using Ubiquiti nanobeam M2 radio

I am trying to set up a brand new Ubiquiti NanoBeam M2 radio to act as a wifi extender to extend my Internet connection a few hundred feet outside to where the kids play at the pool.

I already had the laptop wlan0 port connected to the Internet via the home broadband router SSID, and I just want the laptop eth0 port to be rebroadcasting that Internet connection a few hundred feet away (via the new nanobeam radio).

The laptop & radio physical connections are set up as shown:

formatting link

Where the laptop is already on the Internet via its wireless port wlan0 paired over the air to the home wifi broadband router's SSID and the nanobeam radio is connected to the laptop ethernet port eth0 via a cat5 cable (and POE for electrical power to the radio).

I set the laptop ports to be on the same network as the router: $ sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.98 $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.99

Where the home broadband router is at IP address 192.168.1.1: $ route -n ... stuff ...

192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 9 0 0 wlan0

I set the nanobeam to the United States frequencies as shown below:

formatting link

I left the new nanobeam at the default settings, so I logged into that nanbeam at IP address 192.168.1.20 using ubnt/ubnt as shown:

formatting link

But, here is where I am stuck.

I'm confused what to do next in order to then go a few hundred feet away with a DIFFERENT laptop (or cellphone), and pick up the resulting signal being broadcast from the nanobeam.

Anyone extended their WiFi like this before who can get me over the next hurdle?

I do not know how to set up the nanobeam settings to extend the wifi. Any help or advice is appreciated, as this is my first time.

Reply to
Werner Obermeier
Loading thread data ...

I think you are really going down the wrong path. The M2 should be configured as an AP and plugged into an open port your existing router. You shouldn't be messing with your laptop at all.

This of course assumes that you aren't talking about using the M2 as a true repeater, which I don't think it can do.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

If you have access to a wired port on the router feeding one of the apartments, that is where the Nanobeam needs to be located. Plug it's WAN port into an Ethernet port of the main router. You may need to set the Nanobeam into the "bridge" mode so that it just becomes a "dumb" repeater. That way it just echo's what it sees on it's WAN port out it's wireless port. Still need to setup it's radio for security and such but that should be something you can do.

To me it sounds like you are presently trying to use your laptop as a router, taking it's wireless data and trying to echo it out it's Ethernet port. Not impossible but much more labor intensive and not something I would consider on my own.

Hopefully someone here that uses one of these Nanobeams and can give you more specific info on what to do next.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 21:09:38 +0000 (UTC), Werner Obermeier Gave us:

The recv end is where you set up yet another, regular wifi router fed by the nano Xceiver's output. This dish doesn't beam to your devices, it beams from dish to dish. You then feed the dish into a "local wifi router at the 300 feet away side for a "local wifi domain" at that locale.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.