Need an access point

I'm looking for an access point to connect my wireless Thinkpad to my dsl modem. I have only the one computer, so I don't need a router.

Could anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks,

Charlie in San Francisco

Reply to
Charlie in San Francisco
Loading thread data ...

Hi Charlie,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Linksys "Interactive" Home Wireless Network Tutorial:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Charlie,

Actually, the Cisco Linksys Configurator would be more helpful to you:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Just get a simple router with built in wireless. By far it is the easiest and best solution

Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin

Reply to
riggor9999

I agree! A router will also eliminate a switch which you will need if you get an access point. Both are good depending on what your application will be. It all boils down to what you want to do and where do you want to take it.

Reply to
POPS

BradReeseCom said the following on 4/5/2005 5:12 PM:

I'm now set up with a Thinkpad running XP SP2, with a Cisco Systems PCI Wireless LAN Adapter. The adapter talks to a Linksys BEFW1184 router, which talks to a Westell Wirespeed DSL modem. It all works.

The Linksys tutorial says I should change the SSID, disable the SSID broadcast option, change the default password needed to access a wireless device, and enable MAC address filtering. However, it doesn't tell me how.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Reply to
Charlie in San Francisco

Instructions should be in the manual, which you can download from the Linksys web site

formatting link
. (I think your model number is acutally BEFW11S4.) As for the recommendations in the Linksys tutorial, the first and third (unique SSID and password) are solid; the second and fourth (disabling SSID broadcast and MAC filtering) are pretty worthless. What you need is encryption -- WEP or (preferably) WPA.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.