My wi-fi not working with Adelphia!!

Hi! Ive got a netgear wifi router... have had it for a couple years now. In fact ive got two.. one at work running through a DSL connection with no probs, and my home wifi router has worked fine on my old cable provider (charter communications) for the last few years. Ive just moved and signed up to Adelphia and my netgear wifi doesnt wanna talk to the Adelphia modem. What gives? Is there any tricks I can do? Ive tried inputing my new adelphia username/password into my wifi router, that didnt work. I tried doing no user/pass but cloning the MAC address but that didnt work either. Adelphias tech support didnt seem to want to help me, claiming that they only know about their brands of modems. Fair enough I guess. But they should offer some basic setup techniques since wifi is commonplace now. Ive never had a setup prob until now. I can run my new internet connection direct via ethernet, but not using my wifi.

Also, I have a Vonage router that wont connect to Adelphia either. Ive tried them seperate, together, etc, etc.

PLEASE help if anyone has any good tips! Thanks.

Reply to
mrandrzejak
Loading thread data ...

did you set the router back to factory defaults?

I suspect you are still setup for ppoe, and have some other config in there that is for DSL and not for Cable.

Reply to
riggor

Reply to
mrandrzejak

Find out if the Adelphia equipment (their modem) can be set up for bridge mode.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Bridge mode with my wi-fi? That still doesnt account for why my VOIP router doesnt connect to Adelphias modem.

Reply to
mrandrzejak

On 1 Aug 2006 01:44:15 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | Hi! Ive got a netgear wifi router... have had it for a couple years | now. In fact ive got two.. one at work running through a DSL connection | with no probs, and my home wifi router has worked fine on my old cable | provider (charter communications) for the last few years. Ive just | moved and signed up to Adelphia and my netgear wifi doesnt wanna talk | to the Adelphia modem. What gives? Is there any tricks I can do? Ive | tried inputing my new adelphia username/password into my wifi router, | that didnt work. I tried doing no user/pass but cloning the MAC address | but that didnt work either. Adelphias tech support didnt seem to want | to help me, claiming that they only know about their brands of modems. | Fair enough I guess. But they should offer some basic setup techniques | since wifi is commonplace now. Ive never had a setup prob until now. I | can run my new internet connection direct via ethernet, but not using | my wifi.

This is a router that connects to the modem with an ethernet cable, correct? Since you say that Adelphia tech support only knows about their own brnad of modems, then what is the issue if your router is connecting to their modem?

Tell us the exact model numbers of:

1. Your Netgear router
  2. The Adelphia modem

Did you give the MAC address of YOUR ROUTER to the Adelphia people to authorize on your account? Or did you give them the MAC address of your computer?

| Also, I have a Vonage router that wont connect to Adelphia either. Ive | tried them seperate, together, etc, etc. | | PLEASE help if anyone has any good tips! Thanks.

A good tip is to be very detailed in everything you have, including model numbers and where you can find out (on sticker, setup page, etc) the firmware version numbers.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Phil,

I know my Netgear router is an MR814 model. The Adelphia router... I dont have that info with me.. Its some strange brand Id never heard of... "Teryadon" or something like that. The Vonage router is made by Linksys...... I'll get all the model #'s tonite when I get back home.

The MAC address Adelphia registered is from their cable modem. Which MAC address should I give them?

Heres how I ran my routers before and worked fine for the last year and a half:

1> cable modem 2> vonage linksys 3> netgear wireless

For my vonage VOIP to work well, I run it first before my wireless router. Which MAC address should I give Adelphia? My vonage MAC # or the wireless MAC #?

Thanks phil! Im determined to solve this! Hopefully I can put detailed info up here in case someone else ever runs into this problem again.

Reply to
mrandrzejak

On 1 Aug 2006 10:16:47 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | Phil, | | I know my Netgear router is an MR814 model. The Adelphia router... I | dont have that info with me.. Its some strange brand Id never heard | of... "Teryadon" or something like that. The Vonage router is made by | Linksys...... I'll get all the model #'s tonite when I get back home. | | The MAC address Adelphia registered is from their cable modem. Which | MAC address should I give them?

It should be the MAC address that their DHCP will authenticate for an IP assignment, if they are using that. If the "modem" is also acting as a router (it could ... I cannot rul that out) then perhaps the MAC of the "modem" is what their DHCP will see the request as coming from. If it HAS a MAC address, that doesn't necessarily mean it is using it to play router with. It would need it to connect to it for doing some configuration in the router itself.

You should ask of the Adelphia support people very clearly _which_ MAC address it is they need. Perhaps the router is in a funny mode which plays router when directly connected to a PC, as opposed the more common methods of doing DHCP or PPPoE inside the PC system, with the modem just being a demodulator/modulator of the data frames (that's why they call it a modem).

| Heres how I ran my routers before and worked fine for the last year and | a half: | | 1> cable modem | 2> vonage linksys | 3> netgear wireless

Which MAC address did you give to THAT cable company?

| For my vonage VOIP to work well, I run it first before my wireless | router. Which MAC address should I give Adelphia? My vonage MAC # or | the wireless MAC #?

Whichever device is going to connect permanently directly to the modem and route packets for everything else.

People in the past have all kinds of trouble when they do things like change ethernet card or change computer. They have to re-register the new MAC address of it. It may be for this reason that they have given you something that is NOT just a modem. It might well be a combination modem and router. In that case, you would need to configure things in your router in a rather different way.

The exact modem brand and model number is needed. Maybe from that someone can discover what it really is capable of. Or maybe someone has Adelphia and uses it here that can say what it does.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

To make a long story short...completely resetting the routers for several seconds each, then turning off my routers, modem and computer for 5-10 minutes did the trick. I powered everything on in order and now it all works great. Here is my power up order that worked:

1- cable modem 2- linksys phone router 3- netgear wi-fi router 4- computer
Reply to
mrandrzejak

No, is their (Adelphia's modem) acting as a router or a bridge?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.