merging 2 LANs to Internet

I have a wired router I have been using a little over 5 years now. My computers are at 192.168.100.0/24 using static IPs with the router itself at .254. My DSL service uses PPPoE.

I want to get a Nintendo DS, and that will force me to put wireless into the mix. I can't use Nintendo's own USB adapter because it is for XP only while I intend to remain with 2000 + Linux and FreeBSD. But if I could use it, it supports Bluetooth-style pairing with your DS. I have also been told a USB wireless NIC costs almost as much as a router, yet suffers from low power and greater susceptibility to interference.

I'm still rather wary of wireless, so I want to treat the wireless as more or less an untrusted network, as isolated as practicable from my existing LAN. My DSL provider won't let me have a second IP from them, or I would separate them that way. Objective 1: Existing PCs and the DS can reach the Internet. Objective 2: Anything hitting the wireless (including the DS itself) can't reach the PC's.

So here's my plan. I have tentatively picked the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for a wireless router. I'll connect its WAN port to one of my wired router's ports. I will then configure the wireless router's WAN to a static IP of

192.168.100.37/24 with a gateway of 192.168.100.254. If necessary, I'll make .37 the wired router's DMZ IP. The DS allows for static IPs, so I will disable the Buffalo's DHCP server and let the DS become 192.168.37.37/24 using 192.168.100.37 as its gateway. (Those 37's were specially chosen. That's "DS" on a telephone.) The DS supports "b" only (no "g"), and supports WEP only (no WPA, and they recommend 64-bit for WEP). The DS does support MAC filtering and SSID broadcast disabled.

Is the above plan sufficient to meet the stated objectives?

Reply to
Kaitlyn Luna
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:16:01 GMT, Kaitlyn Luna wrote in :

You want a wireless access point, not a wireless router, or a wireless router configured as a wireless access point -- see How To wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.