Long range 802.11 kit for auction...

I couldn't find a FAQ regarding auction or sale posting on this NG, but I figure since I see a bunch of folks wanting to do long-range 802.11 on the cheap, that it wouldn't hurt to mention that I have an auction going on for a Breezecom 802.11 outdoor point-to-point kit.

It includes two enclosed m/a-com yagi antennas, two lightning arrestors, two 5' extension coax cables and two Breezecom WB-10 PRO-11 outdoor units.

The only thing missing is the power bricks, but they are standard 5VDC

1.5A, and you can get those cheap on eBay too.

Years ago, this system was used to connect two buildings, line of site, which were around 2 miles apart.

The auction can be found here:

formatting link
If I've trampled upon etiquette within some usage document available for this NG, please point me to it so I don't make the same mistake.

Thanks, Tom Ierna

Reply to
Tom Ierna
Loading thread data ...

That's easy. Unless the group is specifically a "for sale" type of group, all commercial advertising is forbidden or at least discouraged. There is no newsgroup moderator or enforcer here, but I'll appoint myself for the position. Violators will have their commercial offerings dissected.

I remember paying $1500 a pair for WB-10 radios and antennas.

Are you sure they're yagi antennas? They look awfully small diameter to be a yagi. A proper 2.4Ghz yagi is about 2.5" in diameter at the element ends. Looking at your photo, I would guess they alleged yagi's are about 1" in diamter, which corresponds to what I guess would be an 8dBi omni antenna. The connector at the base is typical of an omni antenna. Got model numbers?

The WB-10 is a frequency hopper, not a direct sequence radio. It's totally non-compatible with 802.11b/g. In fact, because it uses the entire 83.5Mhz of the 2.4GHz band, it will clobber any and all

802.11b/g systems. Make a great jammer.

The maximum connection speed of the WB-10 is 3Mbits/sec. Thruput will be about 1.5Mbits/sec maximum.

Receiver sensitivity of the frequency hoppers is horrible compared to the typical direct sequence 802.11b/g wireless bridge. The result is that range is not so good. I don't have the specs handy but I have the manuals at home (somewhere) and can post a comparison.

Ah, found the specs at:

formatting link
is +17dBm. Rx sensitivity is: Mbits/sec dBm 1 -81 2 -75 3 -67 The typical 802.11b/g receiver currently does: 5.5Mbps CCK, 8% PER, -85dBm 2Mbps QPSK, 8% PER, -86dBm 1Mbps BPSK, 8% PER, -89dBm That's 11dB difference in sensitivity at 2Mbits/sec. Note that a 6dB difference in sensitivity equates to about double the range. 12dB difference would be 4 times the range. Therefore, at 2Mbits/sec, the WB-10 has about 1/4 the range of a comparable 802.11b wireless bridge. Retch, barf, puke.

The Polyphaser lightning arrestors are the one's Breezecom supplied with the units. I never could keep the water out of them and had to practically embalm them to make them waterproof.

I vaguely recall that those had to be regulated power supplies, but probably not. I'll check.

You're also missing the serial cable necessary for programming the units. You should also include the password for programming as there's no reset button. The master passwords are: 4.4.x Helpdesk 4.x Super 3.x Master 2.x laflaf in case you can't find them. You should also include the missing setup software, documentation, MIB files, and specifications.

Found the docs:

formatting link

The general proceedure is to *READ* a newsgroup before posting. Do you see any commercial advertising? You don't need an FAQ if you have some common sense.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Given this line, from the "So you want to create an Alt Newsgroup" FAQ which states, "It is a hierarchy that is "alternative" to the "mainstream" (comp,misc,news, rec,soc,sci,talk) hierarchy. "ALT stands for 'Anarchists, Lunatics, and Terrorists'.", and that I may be an anarchist *and* a lunatic, without an actual FAQ, stating to the contrary, I'll have to disagree that "...all commercial advertising is forbidden or at least discouraged." That kind of restriction,

*especially in the alt.* hierarchy* essentially demands a charter for the NG, which I respectfully asked for.

Oh. If that's the only penalty, I guess I can weather it :)

Nope. I got this set from a company liquidation.

If you believe they are omnis, they probably are. The part number is: m/a-com 3380-8030-0145. I was unable to find anything via Google searches for that part number - these are rather old devices.

...which is why it's used for point-to-point, long range applications, right? And, why my listing specifically says 802.11, not 802.11b/g, right?

Yep.

It worked for two buildings almost 2 miles apart, with maximum throughput.

These units were outdoors, and were mounted under the eaves of the building. AFAIK, moisture wasn't a problem on the arrestors for this usage.

That would be useful information.

I'll change the auction text to reflect that.

Actually, I did read many of the messages before posting. Seeing how low-volume the NG was, given the lack of a FAQ, and *using my common sense* that this was in the alt.* hierarchy and not someplace like rec.* or comp.* where they *really* get riled about ads, I figured it was relatively harmless. Heck - I'm just one guy with some junk clogging up my back room that I want to sell, not some uber-commercial auction spammer.

Thanks for the good information about these units. I didn't have anything to do with setting them up, way back in the day, but I did witness them working quite well.

Best,

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Ierna

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.