linksys wrt54gc wireless router - how do you set up security features (UK based)

Hi,

I set my wireless router up yesterday (the above model) on telewest broadband, but I cant configure it to restrict access to other users. I use it at home with a Dell Inspiron 9300 which works fine but when you try to configure it to WEP or something like that and you enter the key code on the PC/laptop it wont give me access!

Does anyone know how to get round this?

Here's some more detail:

Initially my router was connected to my laptop via ethernet cable and i was trying to configure the router over the web based configuration tool and set up security using WEP or something like that. I basically had to assign a dns key to the router, write it down and then connect to the router from the laptop and input the dns key when prompted.

But at this point it would not let me access the wireless router as the key code was not accepted

I contacted linksys and they emailed me this response (although I had spoken to them for over 1.5 hrs to help me set up the router!!):

------------starts here--------

Note: Configuring WEP in the router depends on the model number and firmware version of your Linksys Router.

Cisco Interface (If your Setup page has a Cisco Logo)

Go to Wireless Tab > Wireless Security > Click the drop down arrow then select WEP:

Regular Linksys Router Interface (If your Setup page has no Cisco Logo)

Under Setup > Click WEP Key Settings or Edit WEP Key Settings

Using passphrase 64bit Encryption LEVEL 64bit > type a passphrase > click Generate > copy key1 on a piece of paper (10hex character), then hit Apply. =For using manual key entry: Encryption LEVEL: 64bit > Under Key 1 type a 10 digit character from A-F and 0-9 (e.g.: A0B3F58C9E, 0123456789, ABCDEFABCD), then hit Apply.

Using passphrase 128bit Encryption LEVEL128bit > type a passphrase > click Generate > copy key1 on a piece of paper (26hex character). Then hit Apply. =For using manual key entry: Encryption LEVEL: 128bit > Under Key 1 type a 26 digit character from A-F and 0-9 (e.g.:0123456789ABCDEF9874561230, 012345678901234567890123456, ABCDEFABCDABCDEFABCDABCDEF), then hit Apply or Save Settings.

------------finishes here--------

Hope this message makes sense

regards

EuroDjuro

Reply to
djurornic
Loading thread data ...

Firstly, give up on WEP. It's value for security is about 0.1 on a scale of 100.

Configure the router for WPA, enter a passphrase on the router and enter the same passphrase on the client when prompted.

Use a long passphrase (> say 20 characters), also including non A-Z characters and not a dictionary word.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.