Hasta la vista piggee bachers

Loading thread data ...

Philip hath wroth:

I love it: The proposed law would require makers of wireless equipment such as laptop computers and Internet routers to include warning labels with product packaging or pre-install safeguards.

How about this warning label?

State of California Burro of Wireless Security WARNING ! The State of California had determined that using wireless in the default manner delivered by the clueless manufacturer may compromise your data security and ruin your day. To be somewhat secure, you are expected to follow a poorly documented and convoluted ordeal process because the manufacturer didn't see fit to deliver a product that is secure by default.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'll be back!!

Reply to
Born2

I really expected to see a "Prop 65" label, as your posting ;-)

A parking garage is required to post a prop 65 hazardous chemical notice because of the dribbles of oil where cars park, and oil is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

So many labels, you don't know what's toxic.

The only reasonable label as a result of this is one telling the consumer what the default WEP/WPA code is that is turned on at the factory, like

2wire does.

And California needs another law for that?

No wonder people move to Montana.

Reply to
dold

Do you really think they will put a burro in charge of that department? Well, maybe. They have asses in charge of most other government offices.

Reply to
Spender

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXHasta.usenet.us.com hath wroth:

Ingesting or sniffing the glue used to attach the labels is known to be carcinogenic, hallucinogenic, and kinda sticky.

2wire sets the router password, WEP/WPA key, and creates a unique SSID. I wanna go a step further and disable the wireless section until all of these security measures are accomplished. I've posted previous rants on the subject. Search alt.internet.wireless with Google Groups for "secure by default". There should be about 5 of my rants on the subject. For example: |
formatting link

Perhaps. The law is for the benifit of router manufacturers that insist on shipping allegedly secure routers that are not secure by default.

I live in Santa Cruz Calif and am thinking that Hawaii might be a closer approximation of paradise.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Text of the AB2415 bill:

formatting link
(C) Requires an affirmative action by the consumer prior to allowing use of the product.

I like it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Another way to get more money from the customer. :(

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Kevin Weaver hath wroth:

formatting link
>

I forgot to include the main URL for tracking the progress of AB2415: |

formatting link

I think the "requires affirmative action" means that the customer gets a warning screen full of legalese and must click OK on initial setup. That's common on automotive navigation systems and some automobiles (Prius). I don't know where you think money is involved. Insert your credit card in the slot to "activate" or something?

The real fun will be if the State decides to enforce this law. Anything made after Oct 1, 2007 will need to comply which might result in a substantial number of products labeled "Not for sale in California". Kinda like specially formulated gasoline for California which costs more. At best, the web sites will have a special version of the firmware for sale in California.

Maybe I don't like it so much. At least the manufacturers might get a clue from the law. My guess(tm) is that it will pass, but not be enforced. Maybe passed, but declared unenforceable because it tramples on FCC turf.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
>>

formatting link

Anytime they add something to it, it's going to raise the price. Stickers, They don't come free. and then the price to peal and stick on unit. Another cost.

Nothing is free. I would say the sticker would be approx 5 cents then to have it stuck on by someone is another person on the line. If it cuts into the profit per unit, They raise the price to the buyer.

Maybe they will have to have one on the outside of the box as well. Another cost. Change the print on the outside the box without the sticker. That would be a plate change for the printer. Another cost. Change the wording in the manual, Another cost.

If they add the warning to the opening screen. Another cost. People don't read the manual.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

A cynic might see this as the politicians making a show of doing something in an election year and sending a valentine to the IT services bidness by scaring consumers into buying something like : configure two PCs and a base station for $159. There's gold in them thar hills o' ignorance!

I suspect that this will roll off the backs of unsophisticated users, who will just push the reset button and smoke another cigarette.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.