Going the next Quarter Mile...

I would like to get a wireless signal over to another location about a quarter mile (about 1500 feet) from here. That's the good news.

The bad news is its an obstructed path. There are a couple of wood frame structures in the way. Going over the top might be practical on one end, but not the other. So...

Since its a fairly short path as paths seem to go, can I just "brute force" a signal over there? Or does this path fail even the "laugh test"?

A 22 dbi gain grid antenna and signal booster is more than reasonable on this end. A flat panel antenna out the second story window, and even an amp on the other is possible. Can this work?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dennis

Reply to
Sacramento.Cyclist
Loading thread data ...

Depending on exactly how much you have to go thru you might look at some of the 900Mhz data radios out there.. they penetrate obsticals alot better.

Reply to
Adair Witner

Thanks Adair...I browsed the net and am suffering sticker shock :)....

$1000/pair of 900mhz data radios seems to be typical...am I looking in the wrong place?

for example...

formatting link
and

formatting link
Suggestions welcomed...

Dennis

on exactly how much you have to go thru you might look at some of

Reply to
Sacramento.Cyclist

Can you go around using two hops.

Reply to
CWatters

Perhaps a repeater at mid-point?

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

900MHz has it's own collection of problems. I've had quite a bit of experience dealing with the long dead Metricom/Ricochet 900MHz radios. 900MHz will go quite nicely through a forest. It will NOT go through a building, brick wall, or hill side. NLOS is science fiction.

Maxstream and Freewave radios have about 100Kbits/sec max thruput. They are intended primarily for SCADA and data telemetry, not ISP service. I suspect you might find this a bit slow.

For more speed and something more suitable, see:

formatting link
(WaveRider)
formatting link
The Waverider hardware was originally designed for long range ISP service in forested areas.

You won't like the prices.

One 900MHz AP and two clients for only $3,000.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.