The Globe's Future in WiFi

THE OMBUDSMAN

By Richard Chacn, Globe Ombudsman

I ARRIVED at South Station Wednesday morning near the end of the rush hour commute. I took a seat in the main concourse, opened my laptop computer, and within moments saw a small part of the Globe's future.

My computer, which is equipped with a wireless antenna, grabbed on to a signal inside the cavernous room that led to a page full of information about South Station -- its train schedules, restaurants, history, and comments from other people who pass through the building.

The website, which works only inside the station, was created and sponsored by the Globe; it is one of several high-tech projects intended to demonstrate that even as the newspaper loses circulation, it is searching hard for ways to hold on to readers.

We've all heard the apocalyptic predictions: Newspapers are dinosaurs, destined to be lost eventually to the speed and technological breadth of the Internet.

Some readers have asked about the Globe's online efforts. Here is a quick look beyond the tar pit at how the newspaper is trying to keep up with the times.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.