Getting Beacon Frame

Hello,

I would like to get complete raw data in the 802.11 beacon frame. That is, from its MAC header, Frame Body, to Frame Check Sequence. There are some information inside the beacon frame meaningful to me. Please give me advice on this issue. Also, I might try this in Windows Mobile platform.

Thanks for any response!

Reply to
Frank Yang
Loading thread data ...

Use Wireshark or Ethereal.

I prefer Wireshark.

The big headache is finding a wireless device and Windoze driver that will allow the monitor or promiscuous mode. You will do better with Linux than with Windoze.

You'll also need to work with the 802.11 filters:

PPC and WM5 are a problem. I have various devices running Windoze CE or Windoze Mobile 2002 thru 2005 with Wi-Fi (i.e. Verizon XV6700). I haven't tried to do any packet sniffing due to limited CPU power and the lack of available software and drivers. Try this:

The authors web site is gone, but the software still works as a demo.

Tamos Commview WiFi for PPC was discontinued, but you might be able to find an old copy:

I found this list of what are suppose to be PPC wi-fi sniffers:

However, it seems to include a large number of non Pocket PC sniffers. Look through the mess for something that might be useful.

Hmmm... The Industrial Technology Research Institute in Taiwan. Good luck, whatever you're doing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.