Experience with DWL-3200?

Anybody have any experience with the D-Link DWL-3200 access point? I've ordered three of them to try out; anything in particular that I should watch out for? I intend to use them to handle two VLANs, one unencrypted and the other running WPA2 with a RADIUS server.

I've given up on the WAP54GP. It's now obvious that Linksys has no intention of ever fixing any of its reported problems. I'm relegating the dozen or so that I bought to service on our unencrypted public network, an assignment that could be handled by an AP costing a third as much. :^(

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:10:28 -0500, Robert Coe wrote in :

Why not DD-WRT, which works quite well on a variety of low cost hardware (my own favorite being Buffalo)?

I'd still want wireless isolation on any public network, which rules out many cheap access points.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 03:38:38 GMT, John Navas wrote: : On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:10:28 -0500, Robert Coe wrote in : : : : >Anybody have any experience with the D-Link DWL-3200 access point? I've : >ordered three of them to try out; anything in particular that I should watch : >out for? I intend to use them to handle two VLANs, one unencrypted and the : >other running WPA2 with a RADIUS server. : : Why not DD-WRT, which works quite well on a variety of low cost hardware : (my own favorite being Buffalo)?

I wasn't aware that DD-WRT handles VLANs. Does it let you broadcast all SSIDs or just one? It appears that with the latest firmware the DWL-3200 will broadcast all of them. (The WAP54GP broadcasts only one, but that's the least of my problems with that piece of junk.)

: >I've given up on the WAP54GP. It's now obvious that Linksys has no intention : >of ever fixing any of its reported problems. I'm relegating the dozen or so : >that I bought to service on our unencrypted public network, an assignment that : >could be handled by an AP costing a third as much. :^( : : I'd still want wireless isolation on any public network, which rules out : many cheap access points.

By "wireless isolation", I assume you mean the ability to keep wireless clients from talking to each other through the access point. Even fairly low-end APs seem to have that nowadays; I'll be surprised if the DWL-3200 doesn't. The WAP54GP (which isn't a cheap access point) has it, but I haven't actually tested it. I suppose I should, since there's so much on that model that doesn't work.

BTW, for those not familiar with the Linksys product line, the only similarity between the WAP54G and the WAP54GP is in their model numbers. The former was a pretty good product in its day; the latter has at least three show-stopper problems. I've retired most of my WAP54G's, but only because they're version 2 and won't handle WPA2.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:20:37 -0500, Robert Coe wrote in :

VLAN (virtual LAN) is a generic term that's not specific to wireless. See . DD-WRTv23SP2 supports VLANs for isolating different ports on the hardware switch. Did you mean VAP (virtual access point)?

DD-WRTv24 (well along in beta) supports VAP (multiple SSIDs, up to 16, each with individual and possibly different forms of wireless encryption, separated on VLANs) -- see .

Correct.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 05:50:12 GMT, John Navas wrote: : On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:20:37 -0500, Robert Coe wrote in : : : : >On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 03:38:38 GMT, John Navas : >wrote: : : >: Why not DD-WRT, which works quite well on a variety of low cost hardware : >: (my own favorite being Buffalo)? : >

: >I wasn't aware that DD-WRT handles VLANs. : : VLAN (virtual LAN) is a generic term that's not specific to wireless. : See . DD-WRTv23SP2 : supports VLANs for isolating different ports on the hardware switch. : Did you mean VAP (virtual access point)?

I guess so, although I'm not sure either D-Link's or Linksys's product literature uses that term. And I've seen at least one description of a VAP setup in which it wasn't clear that VLANs were supported. I.e., you could have multiple SSIDs, but they may have just been aliases for the same LAN.

: >Does it let you broadcast all SSIDs or just one? : : DD-WRTv24 (well along in beta) supports VAP (multiple SSIDs, up to 16, : each with individual and possibly different forms of wireless : encryption, separated on VLANs) -- see : .

Sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'll be surprised if the paperweight APs I've got lying around will allow me to install it. I'm hoping the DWL-3200 will work well enough to make the question largely moot.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.