Engenius drivers cause persistent open ports

I uninstalled a Engenius wifi usb adapter driver pack on a win98SE box, because I am changing to a wired network.

I see now in my firewall that there are still listening open ports (from the previously installed engenius software) coming from application "SYSTEM" for ports 137-139 with an assigned dhcp IP of

169.xxx.xxx.xxx.

How do I get rid of these open listening ports? Setting rules in the firewall to block them seem to have no effect; neither does disabling allowing dhcp in the firewall ruleset, the open listening ports still appear. Did this Engenius driver software, which never worked, modify my system files, such that I must now do a complete reinstall of windows to close these open ports that do not seem to be effected by blocking rules in the firewall set?

Is this not a security hazard and/or will in not interfere with using other wired network hardware?

Reply to
equus
Loading thread data ...

Those ports are Microsoft Windows NetBIOS file and printer sharing, not Engenius.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news:RV78g.71639$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

If that's the case, why is there an IP assigned? And even if I try to disable p 135-137 in the firewall ruleset, the open ports STILL appear. I think the Engenius drivers may have altered my OS files in some way. There is no Ip assigned under tcp/ip settings either, it only shows as open ports of 169.xx.xx.xxx in the firewall monitor window. They weren't there before the engenius drivers were installed and now I can't get rid of them.

Reply to
equus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.