Dialup wifi (again)

My apologies, as I believe this has been covered recently...

My landlord has just invested in two new laptops. His home and business has only dialup capability.

Does he need a separate computer of some sort to act as a server to use an AP/router/whatever wifi for his laptops?

Or, conversely, what (cheapest mode possible) does he need to do in order to accomplish wifi connectivity (yes, I know, they'd be sharing just a lousy 40 or so K, but likely only one would be on line at any time; the objective is to be able to use the laptop wherever suits, rather than tied to the phone line) via dialup?

Thanks.

Skip

Reply to
Skip Gundlach
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Peter Pan cried out

A webramp and an access point will do the trick too, a lil trickier to set up but will allow three dialup connections to be merged and turns them into a lan.

formatting link

Reply to
Rosco

Rosco hath wroth:

formatting link
I would not recommend a Webramp. The company was bought by Nokia in Jan 2001. There has been no firmware updates for 5 years. I had some minor problems with several 310e models. I couldn't get the two modems to do bonding with a local ISP no matter what I tried. With only one modem, it would disconnect for no obvious reason. Nothing useful in the log files. I had a difficult time constructing a suitable filter to prevent NETBIOS DNS lookups from bringing up the modem. I sold or gave away 4 of these. However, they're very cheap on eBay.

I later switched to 3com 3C888 and 3C886. These worked flawlessly. Channel bonding worked. Hangup worked. No suprises. Plug an access point (or wireless router setup as an access point) into one of the LAN ports and instant wireless dialup modem router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.