Cingular Wireless Internet

Not sure this is the right NG to post this question. I searched for "cingular" and all I found was one oriented to cell phones.

I want to use the Cingular Wireless Network for Internet access--that's the one where you put a Cingular Network Access card in the PCMCIA slot of your laptop and access their network wherever it exists. NOT talking about WAP's such as you find in hotels, Starbucks, or Panera.

I've searched all the Cingular stuff on the web; can find all kinds of things about plans, coverage, etc., but no phone numbers to call them to get more info.

I seem to remember reading a couple of weeks ago when researching this on the net that I read that Cingular offers a trial period wherein you can cancel your service after say, 10 days, and there is no penalty nor do you have to sign up for a 2 year contract. But, can't find that anywhere now.

I'd like to call them to ask them some question such as this, but can't find a number . Anyone using this service and have a number, or even some info, for me?

Many thanks.

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

Try ATT. Cingular no longer exists.

Reply to
rieker

Reply to
nevtxjustin

formatting link

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Perhaps this will shine some light on the your quest:

formatting link

Reply to
George

alt.cellular.cingular is the group where Cingular MEdiaNet/GPRS/EDGE/3G communications get discussed from time to time. Have another look.

What else is there ;-)

You could walk into your nearest AT&T authorized retailer and get a 3G card to put into your laptop, and ask some questions there.

Reply to
dold

Since the data card option is the same as a separate account, you may want to look at Sprint's data card options.

I tried the Cingular card, but the data speeds were only about as fast as dialup. Even my slowest Sprint speeds are at least 500-700 Kbps.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

That should have been a while ago. I was seeing 100Kbps in metro areas a couple of years ago with Cingular, and that isn't the latest offerings, nor the fastest interface, even at that time.

Reply to
dold

If you are looking at the New AT&T (formerly cingular) HSPDA 3g card, max is 3.6 in the 3G coverage area and down to 1.5 in the area covered by the older system. Remember that is the max rated connection speed, of course your throughput will be much lower.

Reply to
jrhick

Try this site:

formatting link

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Understood. But, Googling "cingular" does indeed take one to the AT&T pages.

Reply to
me

formatting link

Thanks, Justin; hadn't come across that one.

Reply to
me

ROTFL!!!!!

Reply to
me

Guess the "cellular" blew me off.

Well, the plans, cost, and capacity are all laid out. But, as I mentioned, somewhere I remember reading that one could have a trial period. Didn't see that mentioned in my latest research. It's only been a couple of weeks since I went looking; but, my browser history stops at 9 days (my bad!).

"Nearest" retailer is some 60 miles away--I REALLY live in the boonies! However, went to Best Buy in that town, and they weren't much help. They didn't know much beyond what I had read on the web. Yes, they had the cards for sale, but beyond that..........

>
Reply to
me

Lot of my customers use the Cingular data service, we rarely see better than 150 Kbps. Eventaully we'll get HSPDA here.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Thanks for the suggestions, AND the benefit of your own experience. The only reason I was confining my question to AT&T/Cingular was that I had read of their trial period. Don't think Sprint or Verizon offer that option. Sprint does on their cell phones, but don't know about their data service.

Reply to
me

Verizon has a 30 day trial period. If it doesn't work for you for some reason just take it back in that time frame.

And Verizon really does have a much better network with most areas at EVDO rev A.

Reply to
George

ATT in their HSPDA (3G) is hitting around 3.6 M much better than EVDO rev A... and on par with EVDO rev B...also 3G is compatible in most areas of the world that are GSM... EVDO is US only.

Reply to
jrhick

150Kbps is "dialup" in your original posting?
Reply to
dold

Sure but you are quoting theoretical max speeds. The 3G footprint is small and I have never seen it in use so I can't comment. I know a few people who used the older system you described and they were lucky to get 10% of the speed you mentioned.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.