Changing Network SSID Blocks Incoming Mails To My Inbox?

I set up a home wifi network using a D-link boradband router and lavet the SSID as default. Everything runs smoothly, no problem with incoming and outgoing mails.

On 26the Dec I changed my network SSID to a specific name. Now, while i can still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec onwards are all stranded in the mail server and could not come into my inbox. I am using Outlook Express ver. 6. I realised this when someone told me to check my pop3.log file and sure enough all incoming mails are stuck in the server and cannot come in. However i can still receive incomg mails sent from within the network.

Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings need to be changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the server is full? Can someone help? TIA

Reply to
<chungacs
Loading thread data ...

That's the typical symptom of changing the wap's ssid but not rebooting the machines on your network

Reply to
Peter Pan

I could be wrong, but the SSID is simply the name of your wireless network. (service set ID) I've changed my SSID several times over the years and have yet to experience a mishap because of the change. Therefore, your changing of the SSID should not interfere with anything. To be on the safe side, when you changed the SSID in your route/AP settings, did you enter the new SSID into the card's configuration menu?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or the workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather than connect to a new network. I always wonder why people are so deathly afraid to power off or re-boot... It works absolutely no matter what, and it fixes probably

90-95% of the errors..
Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:39:53 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

You do NOT have to reboot your (Windows) computer when changing the SSID on your wireless network connection.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:19:07 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

There's absolutely no relationship or even similarities between changing the SSID and changing the workgroup name. Changing the SSID is simply a minor change in what name the wireless client uses when connecting to a network. Changing the workgroup name is a major change in what name the operating system uses when participating in a network.

There is absolutely no need to reboot your computer after changing the SSID. There are no benefits to doing so, and there's little point in suggesting that it in any way, shape or form would help or even rectify the OPs original question is way of.

Changing the SSID on a WLAN does in no way affect connectivity. Once the change has taken place, the client should get an IP address from the DHCP server, and connectivity to everything should be restored to the way it was prior to the SSID being changed. The fact that the OP cannot get his e-mail after changing the SSID is most likely coincidental.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:18:58 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh

To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes for the network card to recognize the change and connect to the network and obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal mail, it appears that he does have a successful network connection.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on the wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but if your mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect" (SP2 doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said (you can email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the wireless node that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected, and the easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to handle a problem, is to teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it still doesn't work, call support)

Reply to
Peter Pan

This is all true

Yes

I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config change has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

He didn't.. He just said he could get regular intracompany email, but none from outside ISP. That is a typical symptom of wired or wireless that can talkto/see each other, but not outside. Changing an SSID (see the subject) won't matter, unless you have a wireless mailserver.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Maybe that's part of it. Maybe *you* can do it in 5 seconds, but try doing it on a support call at 2AM with a minimum wage person that barely speaks english.

Reply to
Peter Pan

One important word in that.... "probably". Sure it probably didn't, but there IS a possibility, no matter how small that percentage is, and a reboot would let him know for sure, and may pop up other errors that weren't known and can be fixed, not to mention reset things to a known state... Sorry, A reboot usually only take a minute or so, resets things to a known fresh state, and gets rid of any temp errors/glitches? The OP said he has been dicking with it for 4 days (5760 minutes).. whats the big deal about trying something that only takes 1/5760 th of the time the error has been there, and may fix it? I can't understand anyones hesitancy to power cycle/reboot... Over the years I've gotten many calls and pages at 2 or 3 AM, and before I get out of my nice warm bed, I always tell the person on the phone to turn it off and back on. Only had to get up and go in once.

The difference (as I see it), is I try and do things with the "garbage truck theory" in the back of my mind (I get hit and killed by a garbage truck, and someone ELSE has to make it work), whereas I keep seeing things here like "I can", "probably not" etc. assuming they will actually be there hands on, rather than make it easier for non pros to do things. Actually, now that I am older, I think of it in a less morbid way (no garbage truck and dying), I think what if I am on vacation in another country and it dies? What can I tell someone to do over the phone so I don't have to travel back a few thousand miles.

Reminds me of the car scenario... Do you leave it running for days making strange noises/doing wierd things, or turn it off, restart it, and try again?

Reply to
Peter Pan

This does'nt invalidate the suggested fix...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Sounds like *YOU* are trying to create a scenario where you are indispensible. He said it hadn't worked for 4 days.. You gonna sit there for

4 days?

I love your absolute proclamation of "it won't".. Show's you aren't thinking.... I am on a computer this second that has both a wired connection, and is the network exchange mail server on the network, with a second bridged wireless connection to the WAP/Router and cable connection.. Not so odd, we have had a wired network for years, and bridged it to the new wireless one we are installing incrementally as wired stuff dies. And by the way, that scenario will simulate EXACTLY the symptoms the op described.

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:39:46 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh

Rebooting may fix the OPs problem. My point was:

1) Changing the SSID was most likely not the cause of the problem, and 2) Changing the SSID does not require a reboot.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:03:52 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

Funny as you may thing it is, as a fellow consultant, I also see that rebooting solves a number of issues. That's not the heart of the matter here; the point that I have been trying to make is that:

1) Changing the SSID probably didn't cause this problem, and 2) There's no need to reboot after changing the SSID.

Even, as you say, SP2 doesn't reconnect after the SSID has been changed on the WAP, that can easily be resolved by changing the SSID on the XP machine as well...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused: | | No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or the | workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather than connect | to a new network. I always wonder why people are so deathly afraid to | power off or re-boot... It works absolutely no matter what, and it fixes | probably 90-95% of the errors..

Fear has nothing to do with it. It's usually not necessary and therefore a waste of time. I can reconnect to my WAP after changing the SSID within 5 seconds. Rebooting can take up to a minute and a half.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, snipped-for-privacy@streamyx.com mused: | | Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings need to | be changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the server is | full? Can someone help? TIA

Is it possible that since you have now changed your SSID, you are now connecting to another WLAN that also had the same default SSID you previously had? Are you sure you are connected to your WLAN?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused: | | Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's | exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge | hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never | happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on | the wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but | if your mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect" | (SP2 doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said | (you can email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the | wireless node that talks to the outside mail service, until it is | re-connected, and the easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to | handle a problem, is to teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it | still doesn't work, call support)

That still doesn't have anything to do with the client, which is the topic ... and where did the OP state that he has a local mail server that is locally connected to his wireless network?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused: | | Maybe that's part of it. Maybe *you* can do it in 5 seconds, but try doing | it on a support call at 2AM with a minimum wage person that barely speaks | english.

You are creating a scenario that is not relevant to this discussion to try and prove your point. In this case, rebooting is not necessary. Even if we grant your assumption that the mail server is wirelessly connected to the network, how will rebooting the client PC help this? It won't.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.