ADHOC

When traveling I run into many "free" wifi hotspots. Some are Adhoc..I have yet to be able to connect to one..They have no security enabled, My software switches automatically to AdHoc, nice strong signals, but unable to connect.. I find many on the 5.00 Ghz "A" channels, but some on the "G" channels..Any tips appreciated.. Thanks

Reply to
jbyrd
Loading thread data ...

Connecting to an unsecured ad hoc WiFi network is an excellent way to expose all of your sensitive traffic to the bad guys. Here's one example:

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Well, that article is a rather alarmist and probably wrong. It's not hackers, evil demonic technologists (like me), man in the middle attack, or a government plot. It's a lame Microsoft bug that still hasn't been fixed. See:

When I go to Circuit City, Fry's, or any large box store that has a mess of operating laptops, the number of "Free Public WiFi" SSID's showing on my PDA are epidemic.

However, the advise offered in the article for securing your laptop is good advise. Set wireless zero config to only connect to access points and be done with the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.