802.11x pioritize packets, free wi-fi

The thought accured to me to open up my wi-fi for anyone to use, but have it setup so my computers get highest priority.

Ideally, the connections that get the "priority handling" are the ones that are connected securely via vpn connections. The freeloaders would not have a secure connection, but would be able to get free net that would slow down when ever I got on.

I assume it would have to run on a seperate linux machine, to do the vpn'ing and packet priority-izing, unless your router is hackable (like the Linksys WRT54G).

It would seem this is good for everyone, more open access points is good for roaming people, and I don't have to sacrifice security or performance. If this was brain dead easy to setup maybe it would get wide spread use.

Is there any projects already doing something like this? Any one interested in starting it up?

Reply to
Ryan Christianson
Loading thread data ...

Yes. What you're looking for is "bandwidth management" or QoS (Quality of Service) features. I use a stand-alone SBC with a CF card boot, running DummyNet on the ethernet backhaul:

formatting link
wasn't intended for this purpose, is rather crude, but works well enough. My guess is that you want to have it dynamically reconfigure itself depending on which users are connected. I'm not sure exactly how to do this (but have some ideas).

Linux traffic shaping FAQ:

formatting link
Various WRT54G hacks also include some form of bandwidth management. However, since you're also going to terminiate the VPN, methinks you'll be out of RAM for the WRT54G and will need to do such things externally.

If you go to the Sourceforge search page at:

formatting link
and use "bandwidth manager" or "QoS" as a keyword, you'll find quite a few open source projects.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.