16 el coaxial colinear (2.4ghz) question

I built this antenna expecting better performance from my WiFi setup. Stock antennas are 1/2 wave verticals at the back of the router. New antenna is a 16 element coaxial collinear @32' agl. Total transmission system losses work out to 5.299db @2.412 ghz (includes feedline + N connectors).

So, why does this antenna only have about (rough measurement)

1-3 db gain over the stock antenna? I was meticulous in my work, measuring the antenna parts with a digital caliper and checking the connections with a DVM along the way.

Maybe my design is a fault? I built the antenna just like this:

formatting link
Except in my version, I've got 16 elements made from RG58. I also made 2 four element antennas for the back of my thinkpad and they seem to be working about twice as far as the antennas they replaced (inverted V's).

Any ideas?

73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808, Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io, Elecraft K2 #4913, XG2, 4SQRP Tenna Dipper, Heath GD-1B, MP-1(X)antenna
Reply to
Ken Bessler
Loading thread data ...

I salute anyone who has the patience to build a 16 element coaxial collinear.

Tr to visualize the radiation pattern of the antenna as a donut. The more elements you add to a collinear, the more the donut gets squished. Because your antenna has altitude, you may be sitting beneath the idea location of the donut. There are tricks to get downtilt in verticals.

You also need to consider the loss in the feedline.

BTW, I've seen coax colinear designs that aren't totally made out of

1/2 sections. The variation may be to get a better impedance match.

Ken Bessler wrote:

Reply to
miso

"Ken Bessler" hath wroth:

I wish my measurements were accurated to so many signifigant figures.

Show us a photo of your construction.

Yep. Just about everything about that design is wrong. Compare it with a proper construction article:

formatting link
differences are:

1. Each sections is 0.5 wavelength (electrical), not 0.25 wavelength. Only the very top element is 0.25 long.
  2. Low loss LMR-400 is used, not high loss RG-58 junk coax.
  3. The base section includes a dual 1/4 wave sleeve balun to prevent the coax from radiating and to keep the radiation angle from going up.

However, even if you build such an antenna, there are problems.

1. The alternating coax vertical collinear is twice as long as necessary for a given gain. Every other 0.5 wave section does not radiate and only acts as a phasing section. Since only every other element radiates, it ends up twice as long. A better design would be to use inductors or stubs for phasing, resulting in a smaller antenna. Something like:
    formatting link
    Incidentally, the 0.5 wave section design is not the only way to build a vertical collinear. See:
    formatting link
  2. High gain vertical collinear suck because most of the RF comes out from the first (bottom) section. The way it *ROUGHLY* works is half the power radiates from the first 0.5 wave section. Half of what's left radiates from the next section. Half of what's left radiates from the next section, ad nausium. By the time you get to the top, there's very little radiation. In addition, the use of coax cable adds some attenuation. For fixed tower use, the addition of ground radials often raise the radiation angle above the horizon.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Oops, I goofed. The RG-58 design is 0.5 wavelength (electrical) sections.

This version is a bit better:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
the design I had in my head but couldn't find. However, I still think it needs to be examined if he is "sitting" under the donut. I looked at the amount of work that went into this design and figured it would be better to buy a commercial antenna. Pretty much the biquad is all I would suggest for homebrew after looking at most of the antennas on the net.

I've built plenty of VHF and UHF super J-poles and wondered two things. One, why can't the super J-pole be adapted to wifi. Is it the lack of small diameter copper pipe? Two, the coaxial collinear, being something like a half wave, still would benefit from some sort of ground plane, yet this is never mentioned in the designs.

Reply to
miso

snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com hath wroth:

I previously itemized why such antennas are not particularly wonderful. However, I have built them in the distant past and added a few mistakes of my own. I built a 444Mhz version that was almost 20ft long. Suspended from a tree, it seemed to work well enough. VSWR was low and it did have some gain (which I couldn't measure at the time). Satisfied, I shoved it into a 1" dia PVC pipe and filled it with urethane fence post foam compound. Suddenly, the antenna didn't work as well. The PVC and foam combination have what I guess to be a velocity factor of about 0.95. That moved the resonant frequency down, raised the VSWR, and ruined the antenna. Instead of a 444MHz antenna, I had a 430MHz antenna. I used a Dremel tool to slice the pipe open, extracted the antenna, and used a fiberglass tube instead. That worked.

Agreed. I like biquads. They're easy to build, fairly non-critical, and offer reasonable 9-10dB gain. My favorite biquad:

formatting link
analysis:
formatting link

A j-pole antenna (inverted Zepp) is a fairly lousy antenna. It's major advantage is that the entire antenna is at DC ground thus avoiding messy insulators (and nasty sparks for Zeppelin gas bags). It's also easy to build out of pipe. On the negative side, it has a fairly narrow bandwidth and a high angle of radiation if mounted upwards instead of hanging downwards as in the Zeppelin.

A J-pole would probably scale nicely to 2.4Ghz. Fat copper pipe is not needed. The reason one uses fat pipe for 50MHz and below is to increase the bandwidth of the antenna. The larger the OD, the wider the bandwidth. At 2.4GHz, the equivalent diameter would probably be a #10 awg solid wire. The feed point gamma match could be made from the traditional wire wrap, but methinks a very small trimmer or fabricated tubular capacitor would be better.

Benefit how? The purpose of the ground radials is only to stabilize the impedance of the antenna. Without the ground radials, the antenna will be seriously influenced by the mounting structure. With the ground plane, the impedance of the antenna is stabilized by the "artificial" ground.

In the case of 2.4Ghz antennas, one only needs to be a few wavelengths above the mounting structure to be considered "far" away. Mounting will have an influence, but not as severely as at lower frequencies, where the mounting structure becomes part of the antenna. The dual sleeve decoupler at the base provides the necessary isolation and ground plane.

See:

formatting link
formatting link
the ground "radials" near the connector end. They don't need to be sticking out horizontally and can be folded back as in a coaxial antenna.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Speaking of measurments, ever wonder how accurately one has to cut such an antenna? Grinding the numbers...

At the low end of the 2.4Ghz band, one wavelength is: 3*10^10 cm/sec / 2400*10^6 cycles/sec = 125 mm At the high end, it's: 3*10^10 cm/sec / 2483.5*10^6 cycles/sec = 120.8 mm

The tubes are a half wavelength long, times the 0.66 velocity factor resulting in 41.6 mm and 40.2 mm for the band edges.

If you aim for the middle of the band, with a nominal cut length of

40.9 mm, and you're off plus or minus 0.7mm in cut length, you're outside the 2.4GHz band. The antenna will still function, but not very well.

That level of accuracy is impossible to achieve with coaxial braid, which is why the article at:

formatting link
brass tubing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ah, but the super j-pole is another story. The collinear again tends to squash the donut. People love or hate j-poles.

My point is the construction at 2.4Ghz is actually hampered by the small dimensions. Half inch copper pipe would make the phasing element in a super J-pole somewhat nebulous.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.