VPN connection drops roughly every 30 miuntes!!

Hi all, I feel extremely frustrated about this issue, the scenario is:

I have Solaris 9 X86 box, on which installed ipfilter as my home firewall (2 NICs, one connects to DSL modem, another one to local network). I setup VPN on Windows 2003 server (running behind Soalris, 1 NIC, Domain Controller), forward port 1723 to 2003 server and enable protocol GRE on solaris. Using XP as VPN client out of home (DSL/Dial-up internet connection), everything seems working ok so far, I can browse home netwrok resource via VPN, using home printer, etc., But after about 30 miuntes the VPN connection drops automatically and even internet connection on XP becomes dead too. I can still see these two connections icons on system task bar, but can not browse VPN resource any more, and can not surf internet either with VPN XP client, looks like call connections disconnected. IPconfig indicates internet connection and ppp is still alive though, but ping is always time out. I check the event log file on 2003 server, nothing out there related to VPN drop line. After manually disconnecting the VPN connection, the internet connection comes back to life. And I have to wait for a period of time so that I can reconnect VPN again. The dropped line problem occures roughly every 30 minutes consistently, which really drives me mad. Any one has any clue on this issue? Many thanks.

popo

Reply to
popo
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bill, Thanks for your input, but I did not install any commerical VPN software, I just simply setup Win2003 Routing and Remote Access for VPN and no matter the VPN connection is active or idle, it always disconnets after approx. 30 minutes. Thanks.

Reply to
popo

I got tired of playing with IKE life settings. I set up a batch file- or a script - to ping a host on the remote network and scheduled it to run every 30 minutes. Been working great for a week. My batch file is just

ping 192.168.1.10 ping 192.168.1.10 ping 192.168.1.10

Simple, but it works.

Reply to
Bill Lobb

Hi,

Your NIC isn't going to sleep is it? Power settings on your PC?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Lobb

Hi Bill, You know what? I just figured it out! I am using a free domain service to translate my dynamic IP address gained from ADSL. When I imput the actual IP address(70.XX.XX.XXX) of my VPN server into VPN client, the VPN connection remains alive till now since last night.

Thank you very much

P.

Reply to
popo

I've seen that a few times. Oh Well. Good luck!

Reply to
Bill Lobb

poor me, the problem came back again when I VPN home from work, internet connection is DSL too at work and I am behind a CISCO router.

Reply to
popo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.