Software VPN vs Hardware VPN Efficiency

What are everyone's opinions on running VPN on Server 2003 vs running it on a dedicated VPN hardware--like a VPN endpoint router.

We have about 5 people who will be connecting to our network at the same time mostly transferring large images.

Sales guys claim that hardware will provide us with better throughput as opposed to running VPN on a server.

thanx

Reply to
asdf
Loading thread data ...

It depends on what you will buy. If it is Cisco router/firewall, I would use it. Windows server may give you more features such as name resolution, policy.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

formatting link
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
formatting link
"asdf" wrote in message news:jN6dnZ3nactJFdTZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... What are everyone's opinions on running VPN on Server 2003 vs running it on a dedicated VPN hardware

Reply to
Robert L [MS-MVP]

I run windows server with 100 concurrent vpn clients connected and there are no performance problems, this was using pptp not l2tp/ipsec though. For lan to lan tunnels I would always go hardware vpn though. simon

Reply to
Simon

thank you both for replying. there is something else i forgot to mention though.

WE are us> > What are everyone's opinions on running VPN on Server 2003 vs running it

Reply to
asdf

Reply to
Bill Grant

Easier option might be using one connection for the incoming vpn traffic, the other for outbound from the office. Or better still see if SDSL is available where you are, this will give you the same speed upstream as downstream. It's always upstream that's the problem with running VPN on ADSL lines. simon

Reply to
Simon

Hi,

You can use only software VPN, because a) more flexible then hardware to adopt to your network environment; b) easy and cheaper to upgrade; c) if your 5 persons are in different locations, they could have a problem to buy the same hardware; d) for transfering large images software vpn has the same throughput as it can be provided by hardware; e)if your 5 users are mobile, would they like to carry a hardware box with them, even if it is small?

I would stay with software. have a look at this software vpn:

formatting link
it is free for 45 days and has a build-in secure (encrypted) file exchange. BR

Reply to
novikov

You can do some sort of load balancing for vpn. You just have to figure out how do you want to implement your vpn solution. Most VPN boxes use ipsec or 3des. But you might want to consider using SSL instead so that you can create more stringent access control rules.

May I recommend check> I would get some expert advice brfore trying to combine two DSL

Reply to
Lourdes Alcantara

Your salesguy seem to tell you the truth this time. There are several ways to get your secure connectivity requirements implemented. I would love to help you on this. Let me know if you are interested and email me directly.

Thanks.

asdf wrote:

Reply to
William Alcantara

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.