Make my laptop appear to be at home

I have setup a VPN server using a DLink DI-804. I can now use my laptop to access my home network from a hotspot. Everything works great but... My ISP insists that access to his SMTP server can only come from addresses in his address space. How can I configure things to allow me to send email from a hotspot via my VPN connection to home?

Reply to
ken.strauss
Loading thread data ...

Webmail is available via Sympatico and it is my current workaround. Unfortunately, it doesn't interface with my Outlook address book, I can't use Word as my editor, I can't prepare messages offline, attachments are an issue, etc., etc.

I can use pop3 to retrieve my messages from anywhere; sending via smtp is the problem.

Reply to
ken.strauss

using webmail would resolve this problem. I believe that sympatico.ca offers this service.

regards,

Paul Hunt

Reply to
Paul Hunt

I presume at the moment your lappy is sending directly to your ISP SMTP server, without using the VPN?

I think the simplest way would be to set up a machine at home to act as SMTP gateway. This machine would be on your VPN and always send mail from the same address.

If you don't want to have a machine at home you should be able to do some trickery with an IP address on your VPN that does a translation to the ISP mail server, but this might be tricky to set up. (So you need to forward requests for port 25 to your virtual mail server on your VPN (let's say 10.99.99.2) to smtp.yourisp)

Gerd.

Reply to
Gerd Busker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.