best small business vpn solution

Hello I need a little advice. I have used two Linksys befvp41 routers to establish an ipsec vpn connection between my office and home for several years now. I have had to replace them several times due to failure. I want to try a different solution. I was looking at the Netopia r910s? I would like some advice on this. I want to establish an ipsec vpn connection between my office network and my home network. I am willing to purchase two routers hopefully less than $200 each. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
jawdoc
Loading thread data ...

R910 is an old product. They should remove it from the pricelist. Get the 3386-ENT. Faster, cheaper. (R910 has a 33mhz processor and the

3386-ENT has a 166mhz). If you want a built in wireless access point, get the 3387W-ENT. If you want a bit faster still and a 802.11g radio then get the 3387WG-ENT (200mhz processor).

Netopia routers are pretty solid. The only thing I have ever had go bad on me was a power supply and it was easily replaced.

The 3386 should have enough horsepower to do encryption over a typical ADSL or Cable modem link at full wire speed. If you have more than a

1Mbit upstream then you may need to consider something with a faster processor but for the typical home/small office it's great. Looks like you are likely on bellsouth ADSL (based on your ip and domain) so I'm guessing your upstream is 384Kbps or less. The 3386-ENT will have plenty of spare CPU capacity with such a low upstream speed.
Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

Thanks Mike. I think I will try that. With the linksys I could establish a tunnel with one static and one dynamic ip. Can I do that with the 3386?

Reply to
jawdoc

We have had a lot of success with the negear FVS318 and FVS 338. The FVS318 is under $100.

Reply to
Curtis

I have even had it working with 2 dynamic IP's using a hostname that updates when the IP changes. It's not as reliable as it can take a long time to reconnect when an IP changes but it worked.

Reply to

Mike Two questions on that. Does the 3386 have a DDNS setting that will update with dyndns.org? Will it allow you to enter a FQDN instead of an ip address? Thanks for all your help and this will be the last question! Thanks again!

Reply to
jawdoc

No

and

Yes

dyndns.org clients built into routers usually suck anyhow. It's not a problem to find a good client that can be installed as a service on a computer that is not normally offline to take care of that.

For the remote endpoint address you can enter an IP or a domain name. In the IKE config you can use hostname, email address, ascii or hex key ids. Pretty much everything.

You can go on their support area and browse through the manual for some specific details if you like.

Reply to

If you are looking for a good solution with one static and many dynamic IPs, I am using ZyWALL at the static end and Zyxel VPN software at dynamic IP, but I know that it can be replaced with some Zyxel routers.

Mike

Reply to
Michal Z.

I have heard good things about Zyxel routers but unfortunately they are just too hard to obtain in Canada. None of the distributors who claim to carry the product keep any stock. Most don't even have an accurate list of products in their web ordering systems and you need to ask a sales person to look it up for you. I tried to find pricing and availability info through Ingram Micro Canada and never really got anywhere.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.