ZyXEL ATA question

I have been searching for a suitable ATA and found what I need in the ZyXEL P-2002L, but it does not appear to be available in the UK. (Least I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.)

The beauty of this ATA is that it has:

Multiple SIP Accounts PSTN (FXO) POTS (FXS) LAN/WAN/QoS

Does anyone know of any other kit like this, or whether the ZyXEL is available with a UK power adapter?

Many thanks,

David

Reply to
David Floyd
Loading thread data ...

The Sipura-3000 has FXO and FXS. I think it can handle multiple SIP accounts too...

Alex.

Reply to
Alex Bloor

Thanks.

But unfortunately it doesn't have LAN/WAN/QoS

David

Reply to
David Floyd

Hmm. Ok, it obviously has LAN, but perhaps I don't know what you mean by ATA in this context?...

Cheers! A

Reply to
Alex Bloor

I think I mean an ATA with added features.

There are basic ATA's about, then there's the Grandstream 486 which can provide QoS because it sits between the modem and router and can control traffic in its favour, but only has one SIP account.

Moving on there's the Sipura 3000, which only has 1 ethernet port for connection to a router and therefore does not have QoS, but has multiple SIP accounts.

Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but apparently isn't available in the UK.

No-one's come forward yet who's using one of these in the UK, so I'm reluctant to make a move without liaison with some-one else.

I've been searching on the net to see if there is another ATA with these features, but no luck yet.

It is early days yet in the world of VoIP.

David (With apologies to Alex for an earlier private reply instead of to the newsgroup)

Reply to
David Floyd

Hi!

Ahh..

I *hated* Grandstream's bugetone 101s, which has left me with a bit of a bad impression of Grandstream in general. Compared to Snom phones they're junk. I also always thought the Grandstream kit was not perfectly setup for UK spec phones (might be wrong though?).

Ah, I see. Understood. Having said that, the Sipura does match UK phonelines quite nicely (phone line spec wise, it has a very clever system for impedance matching). It doesn't have two ethernet ports, so, as you say, cannot QoS, but to be doing traffic management in this way seems a bit odd to me. I'd far rather use something like a Firebrick

formatting link
to do proper (fully controllable) traffic shaping before the router..

It does look interesting. Having looked in all the usual places I can't find anybody in the UK that sells it though :( Or even anything that matches its functionlity....

To be honest, Zyxel haven't impressed me with their Prestige P2000W. Their UI is nasty and the phone is riddled with issues and problems. It persistantly runs out of power (due to some issue with the batteries/power saving) and has never really worked all that well, sadly. If they can't get something like a SIP phone right (with no international phone line specifications to deal with) I'd worry about their general capability in the VoIP arena at the moment.....

Indeed. We've played with a reasonable bag of kit though, and found VoIP to be very workable and 'business grade'. Having said that, this situation has only been reached by quite a lot of trial and error... I think that it has a way to go, yet.

Alex.

Reply to
Alex Bloor

In message of Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Alex Bloor writes

I will take a look at that tomorrow, thanks.

David

Reply to
David Floyd

No, not yet. Their UK distributor is Electronc Frontier

formatting link

TBH, the firmware on the Zyxel 2000 wasn't great (I have one). Perhaps they've fixed it for the 2000L.

peter

Reply to
Peter Gradwell

In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Gradwell writes

My typing error, sorry! I was actually talking about the 2002L

David

Reply to
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Gradwell writes

Um! They don't have a web page! DF

Reply to
David Floyd

- yeah...

re elecfron - they don't deal direct with the public, but if you ask them, they might tell you when it's going to be available and where you can buy it.

peter

Reply to
Peter Gradwell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.