Do VoIP providers lock you in to using only their h/w?

Sorry for if this sounds naive, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to use e.g. a Vonage phone adapter, or a third-party SIP phone, with a connection from say, Packet8 etc.. In other words, do the service providers tie you in to using their own equipment? Surely if they all use the SIP protocol, then it shouldn't matter what equpment you use, so long as it talks SIP?????

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
alf
Loading thread data ...

Depends. If you buy a sip ATA from vonage, they lock it with a password so you cannot reconfigure it and use with another service.

However if you buy your own sip hardware from an electronics reseller, most providors will be more than happy to let you use it with their service.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service. Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.

Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones to Asterisk PBXes.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Teliax is another exception. You can use a softphone, your own hardware, or you can get hardware for them. They sell the Linksys PAP2-NA (and the version with a router) that are not unlocked. They also will work with you in the configuration of you asterisk hardware and so on.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Does LiveVoIP support rfc2833 touch-tone delivery (outbound)?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

I've used Broadvoice, Gafachi, VoicePulse, and LiveVoIP with my own equipment.

formatting link
highly recommend using a provider who won't try to lock down your use. The flexibility is worthwhile.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I ment to say that they sell "unlocked" equipment.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I use LiveVoIP for all of my outgoing calls from home these days and I do call services which require DTMF sometimes. This is all over IAX2.

I thought I learned that IAX only supports out-of-band signalling. That would be RFC2833, right?

I'll be happy to run some tests.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.