Verizon VoiceWing

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP service outside the US?

In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that my US numbers should function during periods when I am in the UK.

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian
Loading thread data ...

As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't see any reason it shouldn't work.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Thank you for your input Ivor. Your comments are appreciated. Technically I am sure you are correct.

The issue that concerns me is as follows: As part of their contract, Verizon insist that whenever the ATA is moved, the user needs to logon and change the physical address for emergency 911 dialing purposes. If they cannot handle 911 calls at the new location Verizon reserve the right to terminate service. Clearly they cannot handle emergency calls if the ATA is in the UK.

Now, one could just ignore this requirement. But, I am sure Verizon can determine where the ATA is connected to the internet by the ISP's IP address. So they question is, do they check? And, do they really care?

The foregoing explains why I am looking for someone with actual experience of utilizing VoiceWing outside the US.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I have Verizon Voicewing. During my divorce, I lived in another city over 100 miles away. I used a totally different ISP where I was staying. All I did was confirm that I was still at the old address once I arrived at my temporary location. Yes, this is cheating and would be problematic for 911 service, however, I was in an extraordinary circumstance and had many other options available that I would have used for an emergency.

Reply to
fugettaboutit

quoted text -

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I have UK numbers to summon emergency help in the UK!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.