the state of Asterisk DTMF detection

Now that I've got Asterisk hooked to a bunch of providers and devices I decided to start trying to do something interesting with it. It's not going well.

I have a bunch of extensions defined so that my SPA-2000 users can call each other and meet, etc. That works fine and it also works for calls through LiveVoIP. I run into problems when I try to use the menus with devices which only generate inband DTMF.

The simple problem is kphone. Using its G.711 codec and setting "dtmfmode=inband" results in this. Oct 30 16:47:53 WARNING[1149348784]: dsp.c:1468 ast_dsp_process: Inband DTMF is not supported on codec G.711 u-law. Use RFC2833 This has been covered in the Asterisk users mailing list and the answer is to refuse to believe it is happening.

formatting link
Next up is BroadVoice. When I call my BV number and enter digits each one registers twice. (Entering "1234#" results in "11223344".) I don't expect that this is a case of noise because it's so consistent. The digits are making it through to me; I can hear them clearly when the call is in a meeting. It appears that this is just an Asterisk problem.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...
[I'm having some trouble with this newsgroup and as a result posted some of this information in "solved my BroadVoice DTMF problem".]

The Asterisk incompatibility with BroadVoice was bypassed by forcing the use of "ulaw". Only a single DTMF digit is now registered per keypress.

I've dropped kphone and am now trying iaxComm.

formatting link
detection is not a problem with iaxComm. (It's not perfectly reliable either but seems to be about as good as kphone and it runs on several platforms.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.