Pay as you go on minute basis VoIP plans....

I've now relegated Gafachi to my backup outgoing provider. Problems with them not honoring reinvites and not passing on the caller-id makes them less desirable than providers that get that right.

1) I want people to be able to call me back by hitting the call-return button on their phones and gafachi goes out of their way to clear the caller-id leaving only an "out of area" indication on the called phone. 2) Their proxy has a bug and/or configuration problem that causes it to drop the sip connection when your side tries to reinvite. A functional reinvite is needed if your end uses a local proxy to set up the call, but you want the audio to go directly from your phone to their proxy for a bit better latency.

(FYI: I'm currently using teliax as my primary provider, they have similar prices at $5/mo for local DIDs and 2cents per minute for outgoing.)

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
Loading thread data ...

That doesn't sound like fun. I guess any port in a storm...

Yes, that is another problem with Gafachi. It is pretty common though. I recall I had the same problem with broadvoice too. Gafachi and broadvoice need "dtmfmode=inband" to make touch-tones work. Eg. inband touch tones sent as actual tones down the audio path. I'm not sure why they don't provide sip or rtp command mappings for the touch tones, but they don't.

Teliax runs fine with my default setting of "dtmfmode=RFC2833". I've tested it with various auto-attendants and keypresses to navigate remote voice mail systems seem to work just fine. The one thing that does disturb me about Teliax is that when I plot the ping times to their machine it is very, very noisy with some of the pings 4x as long as the average. That makes me think they are a much smaller outfit and might easily get overloaded.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Here's what I do - caller ID seems to be sent properly:

exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1,SetCallerID(321-654-0987) exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,2,Dial,SIP/${EXTEN}@gafachi

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

This has not been my experience. I was using my Gafachi account last week for some CallerID experimentation and had no problem setting the data.

(Right now I can't seem to make a call with that account.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Interesting! I wonder what I'm doing differently that it objects to. How are you setting the caller ID? Are you setting it to a 10-digit number or an 11-digit "1+" number?

This is what I'm doing:

extension.conf:

[to-pstn] exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX/6001,1,SetCallerID(WOLFGANG RUPPRECHT ,a) .... exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,5,Dial(sip/${EXTEN}@gafachi-out)

sip.conf:

[gafachi-out] type=peer secret=mysecret username=myacctnumber fromuser=myacctnumber host=sip.gafachi.com dtmfmode=inband canreinvite=no

Now that I look at it, I wonder if the "fromuser" is interfering with things...

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Ok, I see how to get callerid to work with them. The trick was indeed to remove the "fromuser" in sip.conf. That caused the authentication to fail. To get that to work again one one needed to use the phony hostname myaccountnumber.sip.gafachi.com and their proxy would gleam the account number from the hostname. Weird, but clever! Thanks for the info that it was now doable.

One down, one to go. Getting reinvite working is important to cutting my local proxy out of the audio path. While the machine sitting on my desk makes is a reasonable enough sip-engine, moving the RTP packets themselves doesn't work out that well, especially when I'm recompiling the world.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.