how to record voip call for residential users?

I ordered a voip service from a company (8x8). it provide me an adapter, which has an etherned cable connects to a router (router connects to cable modem) and a telephone line connect to a telephone.

I have PCs connect (wired and wireless) to the router too.

What I want to know is: is there anyway for me to install some software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
viop newbie
Loading thread data ...

Be aware that most states have very strict laws regarding wiretapping. In many states you cannot record a call without the party's knowledge or a court order. Criminal penalties, not just fines, are a risk.

Reply to
wkearney99

If connected behind the adapter, you don't have to worry about VoIP, just use anything you'd use to record a regular analog phone conversation.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I'm expect that there is but I haven't used it. I'm no help there.

O.k., here goes...cancel the service if you can. Get a service which doesn't lock you into their limited offerings. Then when you want to do something interesting like this you won't have to work so darned hard against your provider.

(I use Asterisk at home and I'm looking forward to adding lots of recording features. I want records of business calls so that when I'm told "Oh, no sir. We would never say that." I can play back the earlier call.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Also watch on for inter-state calls. In many cases, the courts are upholding either the laws where the call originated, or the stricter of the two sets of state laws. (A recent high profile example was the Monica Lewinsky scandlal and MD wiretapping laws)

Reply to
chris

The latest version of ethereal can sniff the rtp packets and convert the streams into a .au audio file. The only caveat is that the sniffer needs to be on the same "wire" as the rtp packets. With high end switches this isn't a problem because you can just span the ports. I don't think you can do this with a residential router. You would have to use an old fashioned hub which would drop you down to 10mbs/half duplex...not great for big file transfers if you have more than 1 pc on your home lan.

Reply to
Majortom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.