Google and VoIP

News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP

-

formatting link
Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?

see

formatting link

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

This really is interesting. It will be fun to see how they manage this with other projects. I'll be keeping with SunRocket but would definitely like to see how this works.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

Persons wanting a FULLY ENCRYPTED instant messenger, with both Voice and Text, should check out

formatting link
The BitWise I/M does not have any advertising, is secure, and is free for personal use. I dumped my other I/M apps months ago, and have never looked back.

Just look at Google's Privacy Statement, as a comparison with BitWise:

"When you use Google Talk, we may record information about your usage of Google Talk, such as when you use Google Talk, the size of your contact list and the contacts you communicate with, and the frequency and size of data transfers. Information displayed or clicked on in the Google Talk interface (including UI elements, settings, and other information) is also recorded."

Reply to
Jeremy

It looks like it isn't SIP at all, but some proprietary google-only protocol. I don't think we can call their users from our sip phones.

Google is claiming that they will eventually offer some interoperability with other providers, but it isn't clear if this means they are going to field a protocol converter / gateway or of they are going to abandon their homegrown protocol and move on to a standards-based client.

Or in google's own words:

Your search - domain:google.com "google talk" sip - did not match any documents.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Check out what Google-crazy SEO crowd in alt.internet.search-engines thinks about it:

formatting link

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.