Free (or inexpensive) audio conferencing software for 12 or so people

Folks

I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members geographically dispersed throughout the province. Currently they are using a phone patch system but permission is a bit hazy and it only has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members. Currently many of the members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and use a speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work.

MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know of any software, preferably free or inexpensive, which allows up to 12 people or so?

I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews
Loading thread data ...

Get a spare PC, PIII or better with 256 megs of ram and a decent size HD

30, or 40 if you want to record the "meetings" and run Asterisk. You can have everyone use a softphone like xlite and dial into the box remotely and join a conference room.

If you can supply the high speed internet (1meg or better) and a spare pc, I'll walk you through the configuration here in the newsgroup.

-sx

IM: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
shido xavier

I looked on the Microsoft Reseach Labs site and found they have some new Video Conference software. You can use it to VOIP conference if you don't want the extra whiteboad. video and presence detection. It's actually aimed at Education and teachers, anyone can use it....oh and it's free :-) And it's open source ..and it from Microsoft.. Hmmmm Open source and free and from MS :-)

So we may test it for the school :-) It better than Convoq.

It seems to be Firewall friendly too. ConferenceXP uses the following ports:

TCP Port 80 UDP Port 5004 UDP Port 5005 --- l hope these UDP protocol ports aren't blocked. UDP portocol is usually opened 'dynamically' by firewalls.(That means opens and closes as requested by the appliation for example ConferenceXP.

formatting link
and goto Downloads to get it...have a read first.

Cheers

************************************************* Outback Computers

-converging communications and computer technologies

27-31 Munster Terrace, North Melbourne Australia **************************************************

Get a spare PC, PIII or better with 256 megs of ram and a decent size HD

30, or 40 if you want to record the "meetings" and run Asterisk. You can have everyone use a softphone like xlite and dial into the box remotely and join a conference room.

If you can supply the high speed internet (1meg or better) and a spare pc, I'll walk you through the configuration here in the newsgroup.

-sx

IM: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
J Bade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.