Advice for calling US Mobile Phone?

Nonsense. It's because in Europe mobile operators all build out their own networks and for the most part don't need to rely on other networks. An exception is th 3 network which is 3G which can roam on Vodafone's network. That's the exception rather than the rule.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Joseph
Loading thread data ...

And you lied! You said no point in arguing but you come right out and say that the USA system is poorer. You have made the decision for everyone haven't you?! Somehow you think you have "won" the argument when in fact you haven't done any such thing! They are different systems and likely will remain so. Why you feel you need to put in your feelings of your system's superiority is quite beyond me.

Reply to
Joseph

AFAIK the calls *don't* come out of inclusive minutes and are charged at a very high rate and not worth it at all unless you can get a generous employer to pay. In the case of your locksmith friend, a possibly cheaper option would be to list his ordinary landline number and divert that to his mobile when he's out. In fact I do that myself occasionally if I'm expecting a call on the landline and have to go out unexpectedly. I'd still prefer the US mobile system though..!

I would much rather have the US system. I rarely use all my inclusive minutes even with a low calling plan (120 minutes) so using a few for incoming calls would enable me to make the most of them and encourage people to call me as well.

I just don't understand why it isn't available as an *option* for those who want it. The Orange system isn't a true equivalent.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I think he means emergencies as being able to call home or them be able to call him, not just being able to call the emergency services.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

And Orange don't want you buying a phone from them and then using Vodafone to make calls..! Or the other way round.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I've used both systems - have lived in North America and the UK - and much prefer the UK system. I am much more willing to give out my mobile number here in the UK, because I know that I'm not having to pay for them doing so, whereas in North America, many people don't give out their cellular numbers as freely because they don't want to receive sales calls, for example. It's clear in the UK when you're dialling a mobile number, and you choose to incur the cost or not, whereas with the North American system, the person receiving (and paying for) the call doesn't have any choice in the matter. As far as using up extra minutes on incoming calls is concerned, I simply offer to call people straight back.

Reply to
GlintingHedgehog

There are pockets where some networks have coverage but not others, such as in the remoter areas of Scotland etc.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Fine. Stay home. We don't need people like you anyway.

Reply to
Joseph

Because *someone* has to pay for the airtime. That's either the caller (Europe/Asia) or the receiver (North America.) TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
Joseph

Then why the hell do you do it?! You continue to claim that your system is better and then say "arguing ain't going to change it." Don't speak out of both sides of your mouth.

Reply to
Joseph

Well, that's *you*! You really are a broken record.

Reply to
Joseph

It won't be and things will likely remain the way they are. Why you are whipping yourself into a frenzy over the issue of different charging methods mystifies me. They are not going to change.

Reply to
Joseph

Roaming is much less of an issue in a densely populated country. It's not like the U.S. where there are vast sparsely populated areas that are served by small cellular operators, sometimes still only on analog. In the U.S., it is very unwise to use a carrier that doesn't allow roaming off of their own network, including roaming onto the old analog network (unless you never leave the urban core). In Asia, usually you can't roam either, but I never found it to be an issue in Korea or Taiwan.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Of course they do. They can choose not to answer the call. Caller ID is standard, and the phone displays who is calling if the name is in your phone's phonebook.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

You can also get 0800 or 0845 or 0870 numbers that terminate at a mobile.

Reply to
mobileshoporg

Which isn't the point under discussion.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

For emergency use, forcing the caller to pay to call a mobile phone is a very bad idea. Already we are seeing that some toll free numbers in the U.S. won't accept calls from pay phones, because they get charged an extra fee by the pay phone operator. As it is now, businesses, schools, etc., will usually let someone use the phone to make an emergency call, but since these calls are often to mobile phones, this generosity would stop if the caller had to pay for the call if it were to a mobile.

The pay as you go mobile phones have caller-ID. If you don't want to pay for an incoming call, you just ignore it. Or you ante up the 10¢ to risk answering a call from an unknown or blocked caller-ID number.

Free incoming calls would be great, but not if the caller has to pay. Some carriers used to offer FIMF (first incoming minute free) but AFAIK, none of the major U.S. carriers still have this (some smaller carriers still include it).

I hope the U.S. never takes the backward step of making the caller pay to call a mobile phone. It's a crazy idea. I can't believe that people in Europe put up with having to pay to call someone on their mobile phone.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

This idea is only good if you are happy to waste £25+ a month on a contract phone, that you don't really need, when you can spend a few pennies a month on a PAYG phone, that doesn't cost you any thing to receive calls.

No point in keep arguing, as said before changing to the poorer USA system is unlikely. I just don't see the point of being forced to pay to receive calls, all this will do is penalise those people who do not want to waste money each month on a contract phone, and are happy to let £5 last them months, as the phone is only really used for emergencies or maybe if they are out and someone needs to get in touch.

I used to have a contract since 1996, about 18 months ago I ditched it, best decision made, no longer need to waste almost £30 a month on the phone, and just pay for the odd call I make, and it doesn't cost me a penny if someone rings me, why should I pay when it is them who want to get in contact with me!

I make calls on my landline for free and via VoIP, I always try an call people on their landlines first, second or third, only if it is really important do I try a mobile, and then it is only a short call.

So again for someone who only wants the phone to use in an emergency, and that includes those emergencies when someone need to reach them, why should they be penalised.

If Europe had gone down the USA route of callee pays, then there wouldn't be anywhere near the amount of mobile users as there is. Whether that is good or bad.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Yes, that is my meaning of emergencies.

For example you could be out shopping and your child has become very ill or injured whilst at school, I would want to know as soon as possible if any of my children where having to be rushed to hospital.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

With Beyond Wireless

formatting link
you may as well activate the TDMA phone, since there is no monthly or yearly minimum (other than having to make one call every sixty days to keep the number active). Calls are between 10¢ and 14¢ per minute, depending on how much time you buy, and you can buy as little as $5 (it comes with 35 minutes when you activate, and there is no charge to activate).

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.