Advice for calling US Mobile Phone?

Oh, meant inclusive.

I get confused sometimes, as most of the calls I make from my mobile, I don't pay the mobile company for. I see my contract as a £15 monthly commitment, which allows me similar (if not exactly the same) access to cheap calls as a landline would. The offpeak inclusive calls are an added bonus.

Reply to
chancellor of the duchy of bes
Loading thread data ...

Which GSM prepaid plans charge 10 cents a minute? If it didn't need recharging withing 6 months, I'd get on in an instant!

Reply to

Of course it is. I'm surprised you needed confirmation of this. It doesn't bother me though.

No, the charges are quite transparent. I don't pay to receive a call. I pay 10p to call another mobile, 3p at weekends. I'm quite happy with that situation.

Depends on your plan. Again, not everyone has a problem with that.

Sometimes. Depends on the provider sending the text messages.

Reply to

Orange ED50?

Shows your typical £30 per month contract up to be the rip-off it is.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Yes.

It's not something they ever make a point of, as incoming calls are always assumed to be free. What they do do, is use termination charges to subsidise "free" handsets and contracts.

Exactly.

There used to be a web site that did this free but I think it charges now.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Thus spaketh Andy Pandy:

Not thought about using call 18866 or call 1899?

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Steven M. Scharf:

No UK operator charges for incoming text messages, except the premium rate reversed billed ones, like weather reports, horoscopes etc.

There are still a few websites that allow you to send for free a text message to a mobile.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

They aren't free.

Or were you just suggesting I'd be better off with them than with TT? I wouldn't, because I don't make many peak rate calls. The vast majority of my offpeak calls are cheaper with TT than with 1899/18866 (I've still got the year's free evening/weekend calls deal).

Besides I would never give a CCA to anyone (or have they started taking DD yet - ISTR there has been a FAQ on their website for ages saying they are looking to make DD available soon).

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Thus spaketh Andy Pandy:

I too still have the years free evening and weekend landline calls with Talk Talk.

I use1899 weekdays except to T-Mobile (+virtuals) and Vodafone in the evening when Talk Talk is cheaper.

At the moment if I use 1899's 0808 access number instead of the 1899 access number weekend mobiles are 2p/min.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

TT are also cheaper for Orange and O2 numbers in your calling circle.

Yes, weekend calls are cheaper on 1899. Although the vast majority of my calls to mobiles are very short anyway, so accounting for the 3p connection fee 1899 charge, TT could actually be cheaper! Whatever, the difference in my bill would be trivial.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Yes I can and I do on occasion, but the point I am trying to make is I want the US system of incoming calls *coming from inclusive minutes* which seems an impossibility..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
[snip]

Orange still do 30 free SMS a month from their website but you have to be an Orange customer to access it.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Indeed!

Reply to

Well, yes it is, in fact. Inclusive calls are a bit of a swindle, used by networks to keep revenues up from low users, Unless you are paying for 10% of your calls after using the inclusive ones, you are on the wrong tariff.

Me? I'm happy with Virgin tariff. No inclusive calls at all.

So why do you want to have to pay for incoming call minutes you may not end up using, and over which you have almost no control?

If you are concerned about using your inclusive minutes to speak to callers, ring them back. How hard is that?

As for 0800 numbers terminating on a mobile being expensive, you may have a point. Mine costs around 20p per minute in peak times, whereas the 0800 number to my office is only 2p per minute.

Reply to
mobileshoporg

No, it would simply put up the cost of the bundle. They are priced on the expectation that most inclusive minutes are not used, because so many people are too innumerate to realise that having all your calls in bundle is a bad idea.

Reply to
mobileshoporg

Look at

formatting link
for an example. Around 10p on weekdays, 3p at weekends, I think.

Reply to
mobileshoporg

I should have mentioned I've been making weekday calls to mobiles for 6p a minute since March, but that's on the easymobile promotion, which is due to finish at the end of June!

Reply to

I was surprised, and pleased, to get a letter from Verizon, with the notification "Your Plan is Too Big For You." I had signed up for 400 peak minutes per month ($45), and was using around 250 peak minutes a month..I actually use a lot more than 250 minutes per month, but with free mobile to mobile, and free nights and weekends, it's hard to use up 300 peak minutes, especially since nearly everyone I know has the same mobile carrier. Prepay would be more expensive since it doesn't come with free nights and weekends. Also, most people now use their mobile phones in lieu of their landline for long distance.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

It's become obsolete as US consumers have become comfortable with their phones and realized that the fears of going broke at the hands of telemarketers and wrong-numberers were groundless.

Since the European market is evidently still quite superstitious about such things, it could well be useful there.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Start here (if you're a glutton for punishment and have lots of time on your hands):

formatting link

Um, okay, how about China?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.