3Com NBX v5000 Vs. NEC Elite IPK

Hello all,

I've been researching a replacement for the company PBX phone system (an old Norstar system). I've come down to two choices. The 3Com NBX v5000 (SuperStacker) and the NEC Elite IPK. I'm leaning towards the 3com, but I have a vendor that is particularly stubborn and keeps insisting the NEC is the better system for our needs. We currently have 80 phones and will be deploying that many with the new system. We have one location, but often have remote jobsite trailers that could take advantage of VoIP benefits. Future growth should be covered by both systems.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with either of these systems? I'd like to know what some of their shortcomings might be. The NEC guy tells me that the 3Com doesn't use true IP (SIP) technology, but proprietary Ethernet. From my understanding, for LAN operation, the 3Com works on a layer3 level (mac address) and is actually beneficial as it conserves IP addresses.

Any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
Peter Parker
Loading thread data ...

No one has any thoughts or experience with either of these systems?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Look at the NBX V3000 instead, has all the features of the V5000

except the fault tolerant hard drives and network ports. and its

considerably cheaper.

NEC systems are not that great, I dont know a lot about them but I run

in to a lot of them that havnt lived up to their promises.

If your looking to deploy remote extensions you should also look at a

soft phone product called crystal voice, its an add on product for

the NBX which compresses the voice stream considerably. I've even

used it over dialup.

Reply to
cpaetz

Thanks for the input. We went with the V5000 (without the fault tolerance) and will be deploying towards the end of the month. I'm excited to get the project going.

I'll keep the 'Crystal Voice' in mind. We will eventually use remote extensions at job site locations and the like.

Thanks again,

Reply to
Steve M. Mann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.