The future of ISDN?

I am new to this group, but it seems to be the proper forum for my needs. I am a studio installer specializing in studios for Voice Over artists. Currently, the VO industry of promos relies almost exclusively on ISDN technology to transceive Mpeg codec data, using devices such as the Telos Zephyr. This has been the standard for almost ten years now, and everyone has been happy with the sound quality and reliability. HOWEVER, as I setup more new studios, getting ISDN service installed is becoming more and more difficult. Verizon has "grandfathered' current ISDN subscribers but will no longer setup new ISDN service in some areas. There is technology using IP available, but the idea of having to go through several switches reduces reliability considerably, especially with the number of users growing so rapidly. Is there a chance that there might be and ISDN 2.0 in development? Or is there another existing technology that could considered as reliable as ISDN?

Thanks everyone...

George Whittam eldorec.com

Reply to
geo
Loading thread data ...

There's no direct successor to ISDN in sight. For a while it looked as if it might be ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) but these days it's all about packets (maybe ethernet) delivered by various means (copper, cable, fibre, wireless...).

If you really want reliability between defined locations you can get it at a price, in the form of digital leased lines (delivered as SDSL or whatever). Another way is having several redundant standard low-cost broadband connections from different suppliers, if available.

Reply to
Phil McKerracher

You might be better of switching over completely to an IP based network. If you get a highspeed connection like Verizon FiOS, it might meet your reliability requirements.

There are standards like MPLS for a more reliable transfer but I am not sure how extensively they will be deployed in the IP backbone.

-- EventStudio System Designer 2.5 -

formatting link
System Design and Call Flow Modeling Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

Well, in the U.S., ISDN is alive and well, while also being 'moribund, if not fatally injured'. In other parts of the world, ISDN is the service of choice.

Speaking only about the U.S.A. (and, to a degree, Canada) --

Single-line ISDN -- aka ISDN "BRI" (2B+D) -- *is*, for all practical purposes dead.

Trunk-line ISDN -- aka ISDN 'PRI' (23B+D) -- is significantly different.

The 'alternate' technology is called "digital entrance" service. This requires that there be a 'switch' on the customer premises, to handle the digital line from the telco, and communicate with the user devices (phone handsets, or their equivalent). "Digital entrance" comes in several forms, 'ISDN PRI' being one of them. Also there is DS-0/DS-1, with either D4 or 'extended super-frame' formatting. Some telcos are even offering 'native' VoIP support.

Now, with the 'switch' playing traffic cop (and translator) on the telco trunks, one can use 'whatever one damn well pleases as the protocol between the phone set and the switch. A number of the larger swith manufacturers use 'slightly bastardized' variants of ISDn for their hand-set comm. Northern Telecom, for example, uses very ISDN-ish protocols for talking to their handsets. I believe current versions of the switch software allow use of other manufacturer devices 'behind' their switch.

ISDN BRI _is_ alive and well -- and flourishing -- in *this* environment. Just not as a 'telco offering for 'basic' service.

So, what you'll need to do for the future is: 0) 'justify' a need for 23 or 24 phone lines. (or some multiple thereof) 1) get a PBX that accepts 'digital entrance' from the telco 2) make sure it 'speaks' standard ISDN on the 'phones' side. 3) continue to use your TELOS ZEPHYR (or equivalent) gear.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.