MCI Downers Grove Outage Aug 10-11

Hoping to hear some more detail about why the MCI Downers Grove, IL fire and subsequent outage seemed to result in total loss of service as far as New York. It just doesn't add up that Downers Grove, IL would have such a widespead impact.

Anyone on the inside have any info? Ex-MCI'ers? Soon to be Ex? Anyone?

Reply to
GHTROUT
Loading thread data ...

Martians...

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Sent from MCI 8/11 in the early morning: Quoted~~~~ Downers Grove Terminal Facility experienced a total power outage impacting Buildings A, B, C and D on 8/10/05. All customers with service going to DNG were impacted. This was caused by a ComEd substation fire in Darien Il. DNG worked to restore power via the motor generators. Some power has been restored and service has been restored for many customers as of this note. ~~~~~end quote

I also heard that the generators at the MCI POP overheated or "something" and that caused more damage, and of course...the need to bring in alternate generators until commercial power was restored.

Reply to
GHTROUT

That is one of their main hubs I had worked with them at, Had equipment co-located at that location and other locations.

With teh netowrks today, A voice call can be routed ebtween all kinds of different locations, usually routing (mostly voice) is based on which direction has more avialable capacity. A Call from NY can got through IL then to GA to get to VA for example.

Reply to
MC

Can anyone shed some light on the specifcs of teh fire there ?

I had worked there many time and curious as to what happened.

Thanks,

Reply to
MC

Wow, With all the batteries they had in the battery rooms and those massive generators they had last time I was at that facility, I can not imagine a power grid problem would have caused them to lose power unless like you said the generators must have had some issues ?

MC

Reply to
MC

Their issues had more to do with 1st switching back to commercial power which turned out to be dirty and then trying to get their backup generators in sync with each other. If you can't get your power to sync up, bad things happen.

Reply to
tomatomlynndotcom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.