Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Does SMS messaging keep going when cellular voice is down? [telecom]
It depends on what you mean by down. The link between your phone and the tower is the same for voice and SMS, so if the tower is not operational due to an extended power loss or the backhaul link...

Non-standard character sets in posts sent to the Digest [telecom]
action probably violated section 333 of the Communications Act. The mobile providers? decision to give control over the mobile service repeaters/microcells to BART also probably violated the terms of...

Does SMS messaging keep going when cellular voice is down? [telecom]
I just read an email that claims cell phone text messaging (SMS) keeps going when cellular voice service is down. Please tell me if this is true or not. TIA. Bill

Mobile phones without towers coming soon [telecom]
Article from 'The Age', Austraila. Note: A video on the web-side shows software on the handsets allowing direct voice calls from one handset to another using the Wi-Fi capabilities of the handsets....

Smartphone patent lawsuits' impact will trickle down to developers - FierceWireless [telecom]
Useful chart in the original Published on FierceWireless ( patent lawsuits' impact will trickle down to developers By Sue Created Aug 30 2011 - 10:40am Sue marek Mobile developers are certainly not...

Porting number into Comcast [Telecom]
Hi- I'm trying to port two numbers into Comcast from Vonage, one being in the 856-461/RIVERSIDE, NJ, originally a Verizon number, the other one being 856-735/RIVERTON, NJ, which has always been a...

[telecom] Dep't of Justice filing suits to stop AT&T takeover of T-Mobile
[Forbes] Department Of Justice Files To Block AT&T-T-Mobile Deal, Reports Say On a day where things to be looking good for AT&T, and its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom, reports...

Tablet Interface to Cell Phone [telecom]
I would like to use a tablet with contact info, to dial my cell phone over Bluetooth, and then let me pick up the call on a BT headset. All without having to touch my cell phone. I would like to use...

Has anyone else noticed a change in Google Voice? [telecom]
I've been using Google Voice for almost a year, with good results, but it seems that something has changed. Since Hurricane Irene, however, there seems to have been a change: 1. Calls fail about 50%...

Incoming Calls: Charged? [telecom]
Is there a common practice among VOIP providers vis-a-vis charging for incoming calls? My provider is CallCentric - and I guess I ought to call them. OTOH, maybe it's a no-brainer for this group's...

Re: GTE, Automatic Electric, etc. [telecom]
Automatic Electric was actually the manufacturing unit that was part of the Theodore Gary Company, a long-time independent telco (and equipment manufacturing entity). General Telephone, which was a...

Boston time-of-day service dead?
It appears that the venerable time-of-day number for the metro Boston (US) area is dead. Calling 617-637-1234 now fails in one of at least three possible ways: busy signal after the 617-637 part (on...

Where does digital phone service hand off toll-free calls?
If a subscriber has digital phone service, where would calls to toll-free numbers be handed off? Are they handed off to the local telephone company at the closest co-lo to the physical location of the...

[Telecom] Cable phone service disrupted from power outage
>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:41:50 -0700 (PDT) >From: Hancock4 >To: >Subject: Cable phone service disrupted from power outage >Message-ID: > >Our area lost power from Hurricane Irene. Those of us with...

References Sought--GTE, Automatic Electric [telecom]
There are a number of web pages talking about AE and GTE, but they're pretty brief. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books or more substantive references that describe the history of those...