Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cellphone companies reveal plans to maintain wireless service during PG&E power outages [telecom]
By WILL Schmitt The companies that operate Sonoma County's cellphone network, a mainstay of modern life that underpins critical communications systems during emergencies, vow it will not go dark if...

Study: U.S. cell phone carriers throttle your Netflix, YouTube more than other countries [telecom]
By Wes Wilson AUSTIN (KXAN) - A yearlong study of cell phone carriers found that almost every major U.S. cellular carrier throttles your data, and they do it much more often than ever previously...

Tech Tuesday: De-clutter your smartphone [telecom]
MADISON (WMTV) -- We could all use a little time to tidy up our smarphones. Caleb Drolshagen from AT&T is in the studio with some phone tidying tips. We could all use a little time to tidy up our...

Business lobby prods 9th Circuit to revisit decision curbing consumer arbitration [telecom]
By Alison Frankel (Reuters) - I told you that the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was going to get blowback from its June 28 rulings in a trio of cases in which plaintiffs claimed they couldn't be...

FCC Issues Scathing Report on 37-Hour CenturyLink Outage [telecom]
The Federal Communications Commission released a damning report about the cause and impact of a nationwide network outage that CenturyLink experienced late last year. The outage impacted as many as 22...

Today is the Digest's Birthday [telecom]
I have a reminder set up in my alarm which only rings once per year. It came up again today, reminding me to change the header of the Telecom Digest Online Edition so that "27" became "28" - "28 Years...

Woman receives bill for fraudulent account [telecom]
DUNWOODY, Ga. - A woman told authorities Aug. 9 that she received a bill from Verizon for $451 mailed to her residence on Redfield Drive for an account she had not opened. The victim did not have a...

150 RNN employees to be laid off with shuttering of news channel [telecom]
By Storm Gifford Nearly 150 workers will soon be jobless when Verizon Fios ceases its news channel broadcasts in November. The group of regional TV networks, which reaches about 7 million homes in New...

AZ: APS officials detail broadband plan [telecom]
By Peter Aleshire Arizona Public Service officials at a meeting of the Navajo County Board of Supervisors recently offered additional details of a plan that could improve the speed, reliability and...

CenturyLink, CWA Reach Contract Agreement for 8,000 Workers [telecom]
By Edward Gately CenturyLink and the Communications Workers of America (CWA) have reached an early agreement on a three-year contract extension covering more than 8,000 employees in 13 states. The...

Daily Crunch: Verizon is selling Tumblr [telecom]
By Anthony Ha Verizon is selling Tumblr to parent, Automattic It's been six years since Yahoo acquired the popular blogging platform for more than $1 billion. Since then, Yahoo was acquired in turn by...

NC: Petition created in protest of Verizon tower [telecom]
By Junious Smith III As conversations for a potential Verizon tower in Kinston continue, hundreds have signed a petition asking for it not to come to downtown. On July 15, representatives from the...

I installed Verizon's free junk call blocker and it seems to kind of help [telecom]
There is a way to reduce call spam. It's not perfect, but it helps. And hey, that's a start, right? By David Gewirtz This is something of an "on one hand, on the other hand" story. I'm going to start...

Texas: 'Sim Jacking' scam affecting Verizon customers [telecom]
DENISON, Tex. (KXII) It's called 'Sim Jacking' or 'Sim Swapping' and it's another way thieves are trying to steal your information. It looks like you're receiving a call from your phone's carrier,...

Arkansas: 911 system is back up and running after outage [telecom]
By Chloe Hill UPDATE: 8/17/2019 Officials tell us the 911 system has been fully restored. ORIGINAL STORY: The 911 system for Johnson, Pope, Logan and Franklin counties went down Thursday. However,...