Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'
You comparison is overbroad and overreaching, and compares apples to oranges. I would think of it more this way: let's say that your phone company provider, be it Verizon or other LEC, decided that...

Re: Voom Goes Boom
Aside from that and all the other drawbacks mentioned, it's important to realize that Voom was the pet project of Charles Dolan, chairman of Cablevision. The rest of Cablevision's board was not very...

FCC Greenlights Verizon Wireless' Spectrum Buy
Telecom dailyLead from USTA March 4, 2005 'S HEADLINES NEWS OF THE DAY * FCC greenlights Verizon Wireless' spectrum buy BUSINESS & INDUSTRY WATCH * MCI shareholder to play active role in merger talks...

Municipal Wi-FI and Incumbents
This is from yesterday's Guardian. It includes an interesting juxtaposition of Verizon's and BT's positions on municipal Wi-Fi networks. ......... So far, so good. But city hall soon ran into serious...

Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'
Yes Pat, but it didn't do it on the basis of the 1st Amendment. As I understand it, the fine was to preserve "Net Freedom" (Powell's term) and although I like it, I still don't understand the legal...

Vonage
So, anyone else notice that Vonage has taken a dump? I've tried from a number of different networks, nada, zip, kerflunk. Busy when you navigate thru the voice mail, no response from the website,...

Get Into Biz School? Hacker Offers Crystal Ball
A person who applied to Harvard Business School posted instructions on how to check the application status at several business schools, including Stanford, Duke and Dartmouth, on Business Week's...

U.S. Probing ChoicePoint Over Data Theft
By Aleksandrs Rozens NEW YORK (Reuters) - Federal authorities are investigating the theft of about 145,000 consumer profiles in databases of ChoicePoint Inc. as well as trading in its stock by top...

Re: Is Your Identity Safe?
Then how can it be complete to verify your identity? The information that verifies that you are who you are is exactly the same information that verifies that someone else is who you are. --scott...

Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise
I was using "WATS" as a generic term for discounted long distance service purchased as a bulk product, not for a specific Bell offering. I don't know how the specifics work today for large...

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge
Alcohol laws are a special case explicitly described in the Constitution. When Prohibition was repealed by the 21st Amendment, the Amendment stated that control was up to the states. Thus, states have...

Re: FCC Reaches Telco Settlement to Stop Blocking VOIP
I don't understand. Why couldn't the consumers simply switch to another ISP? Why did the FCC have to intervene? Why does VOIP have to get special govt protection not normally offered to other products...

Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
It's not just the Nokia 6010. *Any* GSM will exhibit the characteristics you refer to. It's the phone communicating with the system periodically. You'll hear the buzz-buzz even more when the 6010 is...

Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?
Have has similar experience with a GSM phone and a car radio tuned to the AM band.

Re: Voom Goes Boom
Why? They're not going to succeed. The Dolans keep on trying to branch out and failing *miserably.* (Come on ... someone ask me about Northcoast PCS. Or the Cleveland Indians.) - Apple Valley, CA - -...