Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday
Personally, I do most of the maintenance work on my servers during "peak hours" Why? Well, two reasons: 1) My system is redundant enough that users don't notice the outage. 2) If something blows up...

Phone Doesn't Disconnect
Hello. I am having problems with people -- usually telemarketers calling my home. When I hang up the phone, and wait a few seconds, and then pick it up again, they are still on the line. How is this...

Re: Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!
There is no easy way to find these shorts without special equipment. You will have to trace the lines physically. The most likely culprit is a common point on the wires that serve all three jacks. If...

How to Insert Newline Into 3com RAS 1500 Message?
I'm setting up a 3com RAS 1500 remore access server and need to configure a custom initial welcome message and login prompt. There are special codes like $date, $hostname, $port, etc., for inserting...

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage
SBC now charges $49, same as Vonage, except that SBC thows in a phone wire and offers E-911 as part of the deal. Regards, John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711 Mayor,...

Shooting Victim Gets to Pay Phone
A story dated yesterday got onto the WPVI-TV web site (channel 6, "Action News", Philadelphia), entitled "Shooting Outside Logan Restaurant". It says a man was shot and "He was able to walk to a...

FCC: Consumers Can Put End to VOIP Port Blocking
Mark Hachman, ExtremeTech SAN JOSE, Calif. Members of the Federal Communications Commission claim market forces, not regulation, will likely prevent a repeat of an ISP blocking voice-over-IP traffic....

FCC Chief Warns VoIP-Backers of Rock Star Syndrome
Mar 8, 5:55 PM ET By Eric Auchard SAN JOSE, Calif. (Reuters) - The outgoing chief regulator of U.S. communications markets on Tuesday said phone calls via the Internet have become a fact of life but...

"Take Action," Vonage CEO Citron Tells VoIP Industry
Charlotte Wolter Posted on: 03/08/2005 Vonage CEO Jeffrey Citron today urged the VoIP community to get involved politically by contacting Congress and urging legislation that is favorable to VoIP....

Powell: VoIP Already Changing Perceptions
Charlotte Wolter Posted on: 03/08/2005 In his final public speech as chairman of the FCC, Michael Powell told an appreciative audience at the Voice on the Net (VON) conference in San Jose, Calif., the...

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday
Whenever a communications technology outage is reported and the cause is attributed to some problem with a software load or other maintenance work performed *in the middle of a workday* I always ask...

AOL's Got VoIP
Telecom dailyLead from USTA March 9, 2005 TODAY'S HEADLINES NEWS OF THE DAY * AOL's got VoIP BUSINESS & INDUSTRY WATCH * Alltel enters deal with EchoStar * Comcast, Motorola forge alliance, extend...

Google Window-Shops for VoIP
Ben Charny Staff Writer, CNET SAN JOSE, Calif.--A team of Google honchos met this week with several Net telephone service providers, sources familiar with the talks told CNET renewing speculation that...

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage
My Verizon charge for that is about $40 (with discount for combining cell phone), and also gives a package of features. FCC line cost, etc. extra but the total cost is much less than $88. There are...

VOIP / NonVOIP Small questions
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but telecom isn't my specialty. We're currently investigating claims with regard to G.729A and G.729B and VoIP. As far as I can tell, these codecs do not affect VoIP...