Wireless Charging, at a Distance, Moves Forward for uBeam

Wireless Charging, at a Distance, Moves Forward for uBeam

The technology makes it possible for a device to move freely around a room, in a pocket or purse, while constantly charging.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I'll just mention that when I first saw this article, I thought it referred to "charging" as in "credit cards", but YMMV. I am sometimes thought to be opposed to "smart" phones, so I'll add that I'm not writing about the phones involved, just the idea of using ultrasonic energy to charge their batteries.

The actual article is just a piece of puffery that is long on "might" and "maybe" but short on "did". AFAICT, it was a PR effort by a company seeking to attract investors: they don't have a design yet, let alone a product.

Of course, announcements such as this always beg the question - "Is this a solution in search of a problem"? Battery technology is well beyond the point where "wireless" charging is useful for homes or offices, and such a system won't work for those who might actually need it: road warriors away from AC for most of their day.

In any case, I doubt most consumers are going to trust a charging system that puts ultrasonic energy into their environment: I know people who refuse to eat in restaurants which use microwave ovens, so there's a long way to go before this idea becomes saleable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.